235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A 203 mpd week, and Steve has dropped behind Kurt for the first time.

Steve's stats as at 19 Nov 17
Days: 261, 71.5% of year, 104 days remaining
Dist: 87,536 km / 54,392 mi
Avg daily dist: 335.4 km / 208.4 mi (Last 7 days: 326.8 km / 203.0 mi per day)
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,283 m / 4,210 ft (Last 7 days: 969 m / 3180 ft per day)
Moving speed (Strava): 25.8 km/h / 16.0 mi/h (Last 7 days: 26.0 km/h / 16.2 mi/h)
Hours per day riding (Strava): 15.2 (Last 7 days: 14.3)
Projected total at overall daily rate: 122,416 km / 76,066 mi (335.4 km / 208.4 miles per day)
Projected total at 7 day rate : 121,520 km / 75,509 mi (332.9 km / 206.9 miles per day)

upload_2017-11-20_9-2-14.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve's stats as at 26 Nov 17
Days: 268, 73.4% of year, 97 days remaining
Dist: 89,814 km / 55,808 mi
Avg daily dist: 335.1 km / 208.2 mi (Last 7 days: 325.4 km / 202.2 mi per day)
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,281 m / 4,203 ft (Last 7 days: 1201 m / 3940 ft per day)
Moving speed (Strava): 25.7 km/h / 16.0 mi/h (Last 7 days: 25.1 km/h / 15.6 mi/h)
Hours per day riding (Strava): 15.2 (Last 7 days: 14.6)
Projected total at overall daily rate: 122,321 km / 76,007 mi (335.1 km / 208.2 miles per day)
Projected total at 7 day rate : 121,381 km / 75,422 mi (332.6 km / 206.6 miles per day)
upload_2017-11-27_10-6-19.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve's stats as at 03 Dec 17
Days: 275, 75.3% of year, 90 days remaining
Dist: 92,099 km / 57,227 mi
Avg daily dist: 334.9 km / 208.1 mi (Last 7 days: 326.4 km / 202.8 mi per day)
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,273 m / 4,176 ft (Last 7 days: 952 m / 3125 ft per day)
Moving speed (Strava): 25.7 km/h / 16.0 mi/h (Last 7 days: 25.0 km/h / 15.6 mi/h)
Hours per day riding (Strava): 15.2 (Last 7 days: 14.3)
Projected total at overall daily rate: 122,240 km / 75,956 mi (334.9 km / 208.1 miles per day)
Projected total at 7 day rate : 121,473 km / 75,480 mi (332.8 km / 206.8 miles per day)
upload_2017-12-4_9-21-29.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve mentioned on twitter that he's been in the wars, and in his somewhat inaudible comments on Idai's video he said things have been quite serious. I thought perhaps we could peek inside his mind using from his choice of songs to describe his rides. ;)

06 Nov: Light in the black
07 Nov: In my world
08 Nov: Shapes of things
09 Nov: Rotting in vain
10 Nov: Another brick in the wall
11 Nov: Planet Caravan
12 Nov: Lookin' out for No.1
14 Nov: Rehab (long day kill me slow)
13 Nov: Enjoy the struggle
15 Nov: The sleep
16 Nov: Clash with reality
17 Nov: Blood Red Skies
18 Nov: Bleeding me
19 Nov: Enter Sandman
20 Nov: Fighting (My way back)
21 Nov: Golden Slumbers
22 Nov: Born to lose
23 Nov: Moment of clarity
24 Nov: Darkness be my friend
24 Nov: The lion sleeps tonight
25 Nov: Fairies wear boots. (back to wearing overshoes)
26 Nov: Killed by Death
27 Nov: Hell aint a bad place to be
28 Nov: The razors edge
29 Nov: The struggle within
30 Nov: Until it sleeps
01 Dec: Train of consequences
03 Dec: Bring me back to life

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Steve Abraham
2 hrs ·
For anyone who saw the video from Sunday (and anyone else really), here is pretty much what I was saying.
Sorry for no video updates since July. I have tried a few times and they haven't worked out. I don't have time to edit, so I have to get straight through without too many mistakes or forgetting important stuff.
I've had a very hard few months and have discovered that I most likely have a condition that is restricting what I can do, which is partly why there haven't been any updates for a long time. That and traffic noise, opportunities to film etc. I won't go into my condition yet. That assumes that I do have it. However, what I am doing to solve my condition seems to be working very well. I have pretty much been setting myself further back every day since I set off in March, so have a lot of damage to undo. What I am doing seems to be working very well and I reckon I am about as bad now as I was in August. I made my discovery about a month ago and have been surprised at how much better I am feeling and how quickly I am improving, but I also realise how bad I got.
So, once I get myself in a better condition; the end of this week would be the earliest at a guess; I will take an "easy" week and catch up on my video updates since the Mersey Roads 24hr in July using my netbook at home (so no traffic noise and you get to see my ugly mug. Maybe put it under the Christmas tree to stop the kids opening the presents early
1f642.png
:-)). There will be several updates for all the stuff I have gone through since my last update, some of which might have been very serious. I have probably been close to having to stop the attempt a few times. Once I have caught up with the story from July to the discovery of my condition I will do another update where I reveal all about my condition and try to explain how debilitating it is. It should also explain why I have been having such a hard time, especially in the last few months.
But for now, I am definitely feeling a lot better (even though I don't feel especially "good") and improving every day.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for that @Mugshot

Elsewhere, the question of whether Steve will hit 500 centuries for the year has been raised. The Year Century Challenge has counted 462. I make it 468 in this HAMR attempt alone (plus quite a few in the year leading up), but overnight rides and stuff like that may account for the difference. Maybe I'll put some time into figuring it out.

Whatever he does, I hope he puts his long term health first.

These year long things really are a journey into the unknown. So few people attempt them that no one really knows the dangers that lurk ahead.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Elsewhere, the question of whether Steve will hit 500 centuries for the year has been raised. The Year Century Challenge has counted 462. I make it 468 in this HAMR attempt alone (plus quite a few in the year leading up), but overnight rides and stuff like that may account for the difference. Maybe I'll put some time into figuring it out.

Totting up individual activities, with no attempt to combine activities which directly follow one another, I make it 170 at 200+ miles, plus another 105 at 100+, giving 445 centuries during the HAM'R attempt. I think that's what the Strava Yearly Century Challenge is doing. That particular challenge has gone to the dogs this year, with single activities spanning a couple of weeks being routinely uploaded (not by Steve) with no apparent attempt to look at how the miles were distributed. I believe Steve is required to start a new activity when he rides past midnight, which happens to be the same basis as the original 1911 challenge on which the Strava Yearly Century Challenge is supposedly based. Do I sound bitter?

Whatever he does, I hope he puts his long term health first.

These year long things really are a journey into the unknown. So few people attempt them that no one really knows the dangers that lurk ahead.
It's a tough one, isn't it? I quite agree with your sentiments, but I also want him to be content with what he's done when it's all over.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Totting up individual activities, with no attempt to combine activities which directly follow one another, I make it 170 at 200+ miles, plus another 105 at 100+, giving 445 centuries during the HAM'R attempt. I think that's what the Strava Yearly Century Challenge is doing. That particular challenge has gone to the dogs this year, with single activities spanning a couple of weeks being routinely uploaded (not by Steve) with no apparent attempt to look at how the miles were distributed. I believe Steve is required to start a new activity when he rides past midnight, which happens to be the same basis as the original 1911 challenge on which the Strava Yearly Century Challenge is supposedly based. Do I sound bitter?
It's hard for the YCC to do anything other than take "Strava activity upload" as the individual unit of measure. Unless they want someone to write some stuff for them that stitches adjacent activities together, then unpicks activities that clearly contain multiple rides. And no, I'm not volunteering.

Incidentally (WOOP WOOP name dropping alert WOOP WOOP) I was chatting to Steve last year and he was saying that when you get to the big Audaxes (600+ I guess) the idea of ride length goes out of the window. Does a ride stop and then restart after a few hours kip in a bus shelter? I kind of doubt that he's all that bothered by century count. Meanwhile it remains pretty important to us mortals.

Steve's illness certainly could explain some of the issues he's been having.....putting ones body under continual strain for 2-3 years has to take its toll eventually. Having said that, it appears that this could be something non-cycling related....perhaps stomach?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It's hard for the YCC to do anything other than take "Strava activity upload" as the individual unit of measure. Unless they want someone to write some stuff for them that stitches adjacent activities together, then unpicks activities that clearly contain multiple rides. And no, I'm not volunteering.

You've reminded me of something. In this year's implementation, Strava's YCC is about collecting points which, depending on a rider's habits, may or may not relate to century count in the way most would understand it. And I keep trying to tell myself I'm not bitter. Those who've uploaded multi-day activities measuring in the 1000s of miles are likely to be overstating it; Steve, in reality, will have done considerably more centuries than the YCC stats imply - your figure suggests the same thing.

A good example occurred on day 1 of Steve's HAM'R. He uploaded two activities, 155 miles and 163 miles. Strava's YCC has credited him with two points.

I can't swear to it as I haven't looked in detail, but I assume that Steve's post-midnight fragments haven't been combined with one of the neighbouring activities for YCC purposes. If they were, that would up his count quite a bit.

So I don't think the YCC stats are giving a good estimate of Steve's century count this year. Your stats (and mine probably) will do that much better.

As you say, as if Steve cares!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve's stats as at 10 Dec 17
Days: 282, 77.3% of year, 83 days remaining
Dist: 94,325 km / 58,611 mi
Avg daily dist: 334.5 km / 207.8 mi (Last 7 days: 318.1 km / 197.6 mi per day)
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,273 m / 4,176 ft (Last 7 days: 1272 m / 4174 ft per day)
Moving speed (Strava): 25.7 km/h / 16.0 mi/h (Last 7 days: 25.0 km/h / 15.5 mi/h)
Hours per day riding (Strava): 15.2 (Last 7 days: 15.5)
Projected total at overall daily rate: 122,087 km / 75,862 mi (334.5 km / 207.8 miles per day)
Projected total at 7 day rate : 120,724 km / 75,014 mi (330.8 km / 205.5 miles per day)
upload_2017-12-11_9-23-10.png

jay clock

Massive member
I have just found this thread having previously been aware of his attempt(s) and I must admit his own website doesn't make it in any way clear what he is attempting. http://www.oneyeartimetrial.org.uk . Even the FB page doesn't seem provide a summary. And it looks like he will get nowhere near the current record of 86k? I am not attempting to do down what he is trying to do, just to understand it.

Top Bottom