235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

Kajsa looks more scared at the prospect then does Steve ... :laugh:
Is she in charge of his FB stuff for the duration or was that just a pre-start one-off ?

I think Steve says she is in the interview earlier in this thread. I know from speaking to him that he liked Kajsa's approach in terms of spreading the message so I wonder if we'll get some diaries..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The spot tracker is a dead loss for us armchair fans.

No mileage that I can see, and I think it resets itself after 50 footprint tags, making it impossible to put a day's journey into context.

I'm sure Steve posted somewhere it is approved by the UMCA, which is of course a good reason for using it.

If that's the link to the BBC East interview in post #33, it seems it's no longer available to view. :sad:

This is the one I was thinking of: http://oldschoolmtb.co.uk/steve-abraham-2017-one-year-time-trial-interview/

No mileage that I can see, and I think it resets itself after 50 footprint tags, making it impossible to put a day's journey into context.

You can move back through the day with the back/forward arrows beneath the panel on the left, so that it shows clusters, or perhaps pages, of tracked points, but it is, to say the least, very cumbersome, and whilst that shows the extent of where he's been in a day, it's quite markedly far away from ideal.

mattobrien

Guru
I wish Steve the very best of luck and was gutted after the moped incident last time round.

Looking at the ride(s) from yesterday, the total distance was over 300 miles, so good there, but the average speed was too low IMHO, around 16.

Both Kurt and Amanda averaged significantly higher than this, meaning they had more time off the bike to recover before the next effort. I can't see this being a serious record challenge at 16mph, unless the average is nearer 20 I can't see there will be enough time in each day to succeed.

I hope I am wrong and Steve achieves what he has set out to do.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Can I put a more positive spin on Steve's prospects? It seems likely that replicating his average during the month record would be just enough to get the year record. If he can do that for one month he can carry on at that pace, at least for a while. If he reaches the end of the 8 "good" months (March to October) and still be up with the pace, you have to think that during the winter he would find a way.

Certainly the next two months, with Amanda giving it everything and Steve setting about establishing a sound footing for realistic challenge, look like being the most exciting in ultra cycling history.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You can move back through the day with the back/forward arrows beneath the panel on the left, so that it shows clusters, or perhaps pages, of tracked points, but it is, to say the least, very cumbersome, and whilst that shows the extent of where he's been in a day, it's quite markedly far away from ideal.

A message from Steve on Strava mentions one of the team is working on a more supporter friendly tracker.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've just checked in the other place, and it appears @jo from the other place and Ivan are both working on visualisations.

Ivan's last time was excellent, being very simple and easy to understand.

Jo's graphs were more detailed.

So it looks like we will get a usable tracker one way or another.

Top Bottom