235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I wish Steve the very best of luck and was gutted after the moped incident last time round.

Looking at the ride(s) from yesterday, the total distance was over 300 miles, so good there, but the average speed was too low IMHO, around 16.

Both Kurt and Amanda averaged significantly higher than this, meaning they had more time off the bike to recover before the next effort. I can't see this being a serious record challenge at 16mph, unless the average is nearer 20 I can't see there will be enough time in each day to succeed.

I hope I am wrong and Steve achieves what he has set out to do.
16 mph gives almost 15 hours in the saddle.
18mph gives just over 13 hours in the saddle, I would think that is about the max if you want to eat, sleep and rest.
Either way the numbers are simply staggering.
I wonder how much time is lost to junctions, traffic lights, roundabouts etc. They would all make a huge difference over a 15 hour period.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
First part of Saturdays ride;

upload_2017-3-6_8-25-24.png

Second part of Saturdays ride, which has been flagged for some reason;

upload_2017-3-6_8-27-5.png

And a rest day on Sunday;

upload_2017-3-6_8-28-17.png

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
By my reckoning that gives him 548.9 miles which is an average of 275 miles a day. Two days in and he's well up on world record pace, now if he can just hang on for 363 more days..........

An impressive start but I wonder how much Ms Coker will push on as she nears the end of her attempt. I guess unless she puts in 270 mpd average, it's unlikely to change things too much.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
By my calculation, if Amanda's maintains last week's average (251.5 miles per day) she'd reach 235 mpd a few days before the end. An average of 275 mpd from here on in (surely beyond the upper bound of possibility) would still see her just short of 240 mpd at the end. So if Steve is thinking "240 miles" for the moment he shouldn't get any nasty surprises.

It's amazing how easy it is to talk about these numbers!

mattobrien

Guru
An amazing 229 miles from Steve yesterday, but at too slow a pace. Total time of 14hrs 45mins, with 14hr 01min moving time and an average speed of 16.3mph. That only leaves 9h 15 mins off the bike (in the 24 hr period) to eat, sleep and recover for the next days mammoth effort.

Unless Steve is able to add a couple of mph on to his average I can see him falling into sleep / recovery time deficit pretty quickly, after which it will either be low(er) mileage recovery days or a slower pace, both of which mean getting behind the required rate, which with a long, long way t go cannot be an option.

Yesterday Amanda Coker clocked up an impressive 252 miles with 12h 14mins moving time and 13hr 03mins total time. She gets 11 hours off the bike, so time to eat and sleep. Her avg. speed was 20.6mph.

I wish him the best of luck and desperately want him to pick up the pace.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
An amazing 229 miles from Steve yesterday, but at too slow a pace. Total time of 14hrs 45mins, with 14hr 01min moving time and an average speed of 16.3mph. That only leaves 9h 15 mins off the bike (in the 24 hr period) to eat, sleep and recover for the next days mammoth effort.

Unless Steve is able to add a couple of mph on to his average I can see him falling into sleep / recovery time deficit pretty quickly, after which it will either be low(er) mileage recovery days or a slower pace, both of which mean getting behind the required rate, which with a long, long way t go cannot be an option.

Yesterday Amanda Coker clocked up an impressive 252 miles with 12h 14mins moving time and 13hr 03mins total time. She gets 11 hours off the bike, so time to eat and sleep. Her avg. speed was 20.6mph.

I wish him the best of luck and desperately want him to pick up the pace.

I know she's getting assistance with this but even so, 252miles@20.6mph is fecking amazing!

mattobrien

Guru
I know she's getting assistance with this but even so, 252miles@20.6mph is fecking amazing!
Looking at her ride yesterday, Amanda averaged a HR of 115bpm with speak of 180bpm. Steve averaged 93bpm and a max of 113bpm for his ride yesterday. Maybe Steve will need to push little harder / get the HR up a little bit more to be competitive on the pace and miles.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Looking at her ride yesterday, Amanda averaged a HR of 115bpm with speak of 180bpm. Steve averaged 93bpm and a max of 113bpm for his ride yesterday. Maybe Steve will need to push little harder / get the HR up a little bit more to be competitive on the pace and miles.
My memory is rusty, but I have a feeling his 2014 attempt was at the same heart rate but an mph or so slower. His successful month record was, I think, at roughly the speed he's going now. I'd not bet against him.

Steve is rather famous for his low heart rate. It's what gives him the edge in recovery between rides.

mattobrien

Guru
A great effort at 219 miles but if Amanda is going to average 235/ day for a full year, then yesterday came in 16 miles below the required rate.

I appreciate that there are a few miles in the bank from a monster day one, but they're not going to last long and if we have too many more 220 mile days Steve will fall behind the required rate.

It seems ridiculous saying 220 miles isn't enough, but we're in monster number territory.

Go Steve!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm not sure how it records mileage, but there is a list of Steve's rides under the 'riders' tab.
I hadn't spotted this! Thanks for pointing it out.

If all he's doing for the current ride is calculating as the crow flies distance between each recorded location, that would be good enough, wouldn't it?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I hadn't spotted this! Thanks for pointing it out.

If all he's doing for the current ride is calculating as the crow flies distance between each recorded location, that would be good enough, wouldn't it?

Yes, I believe Ivan's tracker records fewer points than the official one, so shortcuts some of the ride.

The overall impact is negligible - a handful of miles at most - but Ivan's daily total and the official one may vary a bit.

Top Bottom