235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cmiller

Looks like a good day for Steve.

Almost 235 miles, leaving the house at 9am returning just after 10pm, so that's an average of 18mph.

Repeat the above 360 times, and Coker's record will be his.

https://frrt.org/tg/r/1-steve

According to Strava, today Steve rode 221.1 miles in 14.28 hours at 15.47 mph avg.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
According to Strava, today Steve rode 221.1 miles in 14.28 hours at 15.47 mph avg.

Might have been a few miles included from the day before on the tracker I looked at.

Steve's target for this month is about 220 miles a day, so however you look at it he's making a decent start.

Your girl seems to be able to pull out miles for fun, so that may not be enough.

May the best man - or woman - win.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've been struggling to get an accurate picture of how Steve is progressing, with varying distances and the distortion caused by that extremely long first day. It's so much easier to with Amanda's approach.

Having finally established my own spreadsheet, I think that for the moment a really useful number to look at is average daily distance excluding the first day, which can be thought of as the sustainable daily average. At the moment this is 226.1 (my figure) which clearly won't win the prize, but it isn't far off and as long as the number is edging upwards, the campaign looks to be in good health. By the end of the summer I'd say he needs to be averaging 240, and by that time the influence of the first day will be negligible.

On the Amanda front, her rolling 30-day total is now all but 7400 miles, and still she hasn't formally started a month record attempt, as far as I know. You do have to wonder how many hours a day she can ride in the final month when she has absolutely nothing to lose.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've been struggling to get an accurate picture of how Steve is progressing, with varying distances and the distortion caused by that extremely long first day. It's so much easier to with Amanda's approach.

Having finally established my own spreadsheet, I think that for the moment a really useful number to look at is average daily distance excluding the first day, which can be thought of as the sustainable daily average. At the moment this is 226.1 (my figure) which clearly won't win the prize, but it isn't far off and as long as the number is edging upwards, the campaign looks to be in good health. By the end of the summer I'd say he needs to be averaging 240, and by that time the influence of the first day will be negligible.

On the Amanda front, her rolling 30-day total is now all but 7400 miles, and still she hasn't formally started a month record attempt, as far as I know. You do have to wonder how many hours a day she can ride in the final month when she has absolutely nothing to lose.

I did the same arithmetic as you and also came up with an average of 226 miles a day, leaving aside the long first day.

Steve had one of his better days yesterday, 340 miles riding from 9am to just before midnight which appears to be his preferred hours

The target Amanda sets remains the unknown quantity.

If she continues at her recent 250 miles a day until the end, it will give her about 235 miles a day overall.

But as you say, she may be able to put in an even more ridiculous daily miles for the last few weeks.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I did the same arithmetic as you and also came up with an average of 226 miles a day, leaving aside the long first day.

Steve had one of his better days yesterday, 340 miles riding from 9am to just before midnight which appears to be his preferred hours

The target Amanda sets remains the unknown quantity.

If she continues at her recent 250 miles a day until the end, it will give her about 235 miles a day overall.

But as you say, she may be able to put in an even more ridiculous daily miles for the last few weeks.
240?

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
upload_2017-3-16_10-28-9.png

There's an extra 10 which was after midnight so 240 for Steve yesterday.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I was just having a look at the old thread, I'm not ashamed to say that I had absolutely, completely and utterly forgotten about IronOx.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've finally got around to firing up the clunky software I used for gathering Kajsa's data from Strava and adapted it to Steve's slightly different uploading style.

Would people be interested in regular (probably weekly) updates of stats based on Strava data?
Are there any stats or graphs you'd be particularly interested in seeing?

Here's the current position.

Days: 24
Dist: 8710.3 km / 5412.3 mi
Avg daily dist: 362.9 km / 225.5 mi
Avg daily elevation: 1638 m / 5373 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.6 km/h / 15.9 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 17.0

Notes
This is based on Steve's Strava uploads since 4th March
The "moving speed" is derived from what Strava considers to be his "moving time".
The hours per day is the total duration of his uploaded tracks. If he left the GPS running at the start or end of a ride, that's included.
I make no claims that is is all correct. Best efforts only.

Edit. Teething problems. I was concentrating so hard on getting the distance totals right I had made a rather basic error in counting the number of days. He has actually completed 24 not 23. Daily averages were therefore a bit elevated. I've corrected them above. Bear with me while I get things right.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've finally got around to firing up the clunky software I used for gathering Kajsa's data from Strava and adapted it to Steve's slightly different uploading style.

Would people be interested in regular (probably weekly) updates of stats based on Strava data?
Are there any stats or graphs you'd be particularly interested in seeing?

Here's the current position.

Days: 23
Dist: 8710.3 km / 5412.3 mi
Avg daily dist: 378.7 km / 235.3 mi
Avg daily elevation: 1709 m / 5606 ft
Moving speed (Strava): 25.6 km/h / 15.9 mi/h
Hours per day riding: 17.8

Notes
This is based on Steve's Strava uploads since 4th March
The "moving speed" is derived from what Strava considers to be his "moving time".
The hours per day is the total duration of his uploaded tracks. If he left the GPS running at the start or end of a ride, that's included.
I make no claims that is is all correct. Best efforts only.

A good stat would be if you can do a pace line for his projected yearly total, if there is one.

Top Bottom