25 mile test ride, no padded shorts or creams.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Padded shorts for me - don't need to be super padded, but they need to keep the 'gentlemen baubles' out of harms way. Hopefully you had 'trunk' type boxers on rather than loose cotton ones :hyper:

I do ride in jeans with the kids/family, but there be no fast cycling and jumping in and out of the saddle (usually with good fitting boxers). :wacko:

People see cyclists wearing high viz and helmets and gradually come to the conclusion that cycling must be very dangerous as you have to wear special safety equipment.

People see cyclists wearing special and generally ugly clothes and assume cycling must be terribly uncomfortable. I think it will help cycling spread to the non-enthusiasts if they see more cyclists dressing for their destination than their journey.

Excellent!

For the led rides I run for Sustrans locally, I deliberately don't wear lycra or a helmet, specifically to encourage people to just get on their bikes and ride, and to see being on a bike as a simple thing to do. I don't have a problem doing 40 miles in normal clothes.

It's only when there are enough people are out and about on bikes, that cycling will get accepted as a normal, simple thing to do and get considered as an alternative to jumping in the car to join the traffic jam.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think the key is no seams or anything that will ruck between the legs.

I have a pair of lycra shorts with no pad - for runners, I think.

They are just as comfortable as padded shorts.

Soft cotton - aka well worn - trackie bottoms commando are also comfortable.

Alan O

Über Member
Like many, I've never worn padded shorts or used any kind of cream, and I also put it mainly down to finding a saddle that suits me well. Also, I don't use skinny tyres pumped to super-hard pressures, always 28c or 32c on the road and pumped to comfy pressures, which might also help.

D

Deleted member 1258

Padded shorts for me - don't need to be super padded, but they need to keep the 'gentlemen baubles' out of harms way. Hopefully you had 'trunk' type boxers on rather than loose cotton ones :hyper:

I do ride in jeans with the kids/family, but there be no fast cycling and jumping in and out of the saddle (usually with good fitting boxers). :wacko:

Yes for us gentlemen clothing that is tight fitting is a good idea, having had the family jewels get out of control on a recent ride, and ended sitting on them, this is an area that I'm paying extra attention to now.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you have never worn padded shorts then you have no idea if they are a benefit too you or not.
I have, after joining CC and finding out I should.
I don't like them, feels like having a hot radiator down below.
They also dig into my chubby thighs!

screenman

Legendary Member
I have, after joining CC and finding out I should.
I don't like them, feels like having a hot radiator down below.
They also dig into my chubby thighs!

That is fine if you tried them and found not too your liking, I am the opposite which makes niether of us wrong, just different.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes for us gentlemen clothing that is tight fitting is a good idea, having had the family jewels get out of control on a recent ride, and ended sitting on them, this is an area that I'm paying extra attention to now.

Ow.. oh ow. ! :wacko:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Having them scrunched, sweated and sawed in two by pad seams is worse! Snug but not tight is best.

screenman

Legendary Member
I bought a pair of padded shorts and tried them out ............................once.
I felt there just wasn't enough space going spare to allow for any padding down there, but they do seem quite popular:smile:.

Again that is fine you tried them.

Top Bottom