26" slick tyres for commuting

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by wheeliebin, 11 Jun 2019.

1. I've been running 26x1.5 m+ on my MTB commuter bike, but not impressed with the lack of wet grip. Last week I had a puncture (drawing pin) and (unrelated) sidewall failure on the front which has prompted me to look for a replacement, but the choice in 26" seems quite limited. I'm looking for at least some level of puncture protection with decent wet grip. Not too worried about wear, weight etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I have Schwalbe Marathon on mine but 1.75. The lighter greenguard. The blue guard are heavy and dead.

I did also have some Specialized for a while but for the life of me I can’t remember the model. Sorry.

3. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard 1.5 ? How narrow do you want to go? Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are lighter and the fastest rolling and come in 26 X 1.6

4. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Marathon originals green guard, like @Heltor Chasca said.
    Schwalbe City Jets are good too, but less puncture protection than the M originals.
    I am trying out Marathon Mondials at the moment, will report back after a few thousand miles.

5. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

If you've gone of Schwalbe, then there's also Panaracer Pasela tyres, and Continental have the Contact and Contact Speed which both come in 26" versions.

6. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Marathon's for me as i got fed up with punctures using City Jets since they changed design to a very soft side wall

7. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

using city jets with tyre liners , not idel but fast and i got a good deal on the tyres

gaijintendo likes this.
  8. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

city jets worked fine for me

gaijintendo and DCBassman like this.
  9. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

Yup, good tyres.

gaijintendo likes this.
  10. C R

C R Über Member

gaijintendo likes this.
  11. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Another vote for City Jet. Huge improvement over stock tyres, and I don't recall many punctures, but occasionally plucked shrapnel out of the threads.

12. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

I regularly swap between Schwalbe City Jets and Kojaks.
    Haven't had a puncture in over a year/2300 ish miles. I off road lots.

13. OP
    OP
    wheeliebin

wheeliebin Über Member

My experience of City Jets wasn't great, too many punctures. After my M+ failed last week I put an old City Jet on the front (Still plenty of tread on it though). It lasted all of 3 miles of my journey to work before the dreaded happened. I guess it depends on the type of roads, the lanes I go on tend to have quite a lot of debris at the sides.

Cheers for all the suggestions, I'll look at some of the other Marathons, Panaracer and Contis.

14. C R

C R Über Member

My riding conditions seem to be pretty similar to yours, and haven't yet had an issue. I bet I will have now, though.

15. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

When I've had that happen to me, it's often been a slow puncture due to me puinching the tube.
    I presume you found the cause and didn't retire it because of recurrent punctures?

Anyways, safe trails.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2019 at 15:24
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice