26" slick tyres for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been running 26x1.5 m+ on my MTB commuter bike, but not impressed with the lack of wet grip. Last week I had a puncture (drawing pin) and (unrelated) sidewall failure on the front which has prompted me to look for a replacement, but the choice in 26" seems quite limited. I'm looking for at least some level of puncture protection with decent wet grip. Not too worried about wear, weight etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have Schwalbe Marathon on mine but 1.75. The lighter greenguard. The blue guard are heavy and dead.

I did also have some Specialized for a while but for the life of me I can’t remember the model. Sorry.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Marathon originals green guard, like @Heltor Chasca said.
Schwalbe City Jets are good too, but less puncture protection than the M originals.
I am trying out Marathon Mondials at the moment, will report back after a few thousand miles.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you've gone of Schwalbe, then there's also Panaracer Pasela tyres, and Continental have the Contact and Contact Speed which both come in 26" versions.

city jets worked fine for me
Yup, good tyres.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Another vote for City Jet. Huge improvement over stock tyres, and I don't recall many punctures, but occasionally plucked shrapnel out of the threads.

My experience of City Jets wasn't great, too many punctures. After my M+ failed last week I put an old City Jet on the front (Still plenty of tread on it though). It lasted all of 3 miles of my journey to work before the dreaded happened. I guess it depends on the type of roads, the lanes I go on tend to have quite a lot of debris at the sides.

Cheers for all the suggestions, I'll look at some of the other Marathons, Panaracer and Contis.

C R

Guru
My experience of City Jets wasn't great, too many punctures. After my M+ failed last week I put an old City Jet on the front (Still plenty of tread on it though). It lasted all of 3 miles of my journey to work before the dreaded happened. I guess it depends on the type of roads, the lanes I go on tend to have quite a lot of debris at the sides.

Cheers for all the suggestions, I'll look at some of the other Marathons, Panaracer and Contis.
My riding conditions seem to be pretty similar to yours, and haven't yet had an issue. I bet I will have now, though.

gaijintendo

Veteran

When I've had that happen to me, it's often been a slow puncture due to me puinching the tube.
I presume you found the cause and didn't retire it because of recurrent punctures?

Anyways, safe trails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom