27.5 or 29 for street/road hard tail MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliShah2020

Hi all,

What's better for street/road riding? 27.5 or 29? I'd like to get a hard tail for my son, and for us it is a significant investment. I would like to splash out for him but get the right wheel size bike for where he will be riding most.

Thanks for your input :bicycle:😊

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Makes no difference. Tyre choice does.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why does it need to be a mountain bike for road riding?
29er always seem like big heavy bikes to me and I’m 5’10. How tall is said son?

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for your input! 😊:okay:

My son wants a mountain bike, as all of his mates have MTB's and he doesn't want a "boring" hybrid. MTB's look cool, so we're going for fun and looks. :becool:^_^

My son was happy for a low end bike to save his dad money (bless him) but I wanted to splash out on an investment that he could really enjoy for years to come, with minor upgrades if any when needed.

My son is 12 years old, 5"7 and I expect will shoot up to circa 5"11-6"0 over the next 4-5 years. He will be riding mainly London city roads (95%) and occasional park (5%).

I have a Lapierre Edge on which I threw on some slicks and it's a real joy to ride, so expect to throw on some slicks on his bike too. My MTB has 27.5 wheels and they look HUGE to me, so was worried that 29ers might be too much (I know very little about bikes). I thought a 29er might be slower and harder to pedal?

My son loves my bike. I have shortlisted several bikes for him to choose, we have similar tastes and I know he will be super stoked. At this stage anything he gets over his current junior bike will be a significant upgrade :bicycle::angel::wub:

Attachments

• 20200913_090137.jpg
    20200913_090137.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 16

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely any bike you buy him now is going to be too small in 4 years or any bike that will suit him at 6ft will be too big now.

Of course make sure he knows about locking it up properly...Especially anywhere in London!

D

Deleted member 23692

Jake 100's signature Collective C100 or C100pro is easily the coolest road focused MTB for teenagers going at the mo. No doubt it'll still be cool for years to come too. Shrewd investment possibly?

https://www.collectivebikes.com/collections/mtb

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFtNVX5SpX8&ab_channel=JAKE100

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife's 29er XC full suspension is lighter than my 27.5 trail full suspension.

I don't think it matters too much.

Your lad will still want knobbly tyres though as he'll be mucking about on it, so look for an XC tyre thats not got massive grippy knobbles.

Schwalbe nobby nic tyres are good as are rapid rons. They roll well. I switched from nobby nics to Maxxis Minions as the grip is better in harsh conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi all,

I have narrowed it down to two choices:

1. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Boardman-MHT-8-6-Mountain-Bike-2021-Hardtail-MTB_230127.htm £650

2. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-MX-30-Mountain-Bike-2021-Hardtail-MTB_228264.htm £566 (due to discount)

He said he is happy with either of the above, and is struggling to make a decision. He wants something sharp and sexy (in red), for local commuting with the fun element of a hard tail. But also, not too MTB focused.

Thanks for your help.
P.S @Mo1959 When he gets a bit older, I will give him my Lapierre which is wrapped in helicopter tape and polished once per month bahaha :wub::laugh::bicycle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

:notworthy:
The Boardman has air sprung forks - the Orbea lower end coils. Groupset is also better on the Boardman.

Only polishing your bike once a month - slacker !

Thanks @fossyant I appreciate the input. I remember you helped me with my Lapierre pedal disaster! ^_^:notworthy:

I spent last night reading the pros and cons of both. They will both be turned off or "locked out" for road for 99% of the time.

Good points about groupset, I did not realise that so thank you for pointing it out.

The Boardman is £650, the Orbea is being offered at £566 (discounted) does that sway you at all?

Top Bottom