2nd hand subtle hybrid for everyday and adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randommoose

Über Member
Hi,

I'm trying to work out what bicycle to get and would appreciate any suggestions for things to look at/try out.

I am currently riding a Dawes Galaxy - pros: light, fast, good condition. Cons: I don't like drops, it is too stiff/juddery/twitchy for me, it doesn't make me want to ride.

Previously owned and commuted regularly on a Schwinn Adventurer GS (front suspension but I kept it locked out) - pros: comfortable, easy, carried loads easily, flat bars and twist grips (I added) were nice. Cons: Weighed a LOT (17kg unloaded), slow and draggy (45 or 47? tyres probably the main reason).

What I need the bike for:
1. Everyday: Going out with dog, going to shops etc
2. Adventure - we are going travelling UK and Europe for a year soon - we will be in a motorhome with our bicycles for all day to day transport and non-walking exploration. Needs to tow a trailer (dog), take panniers occasionally, disc brakes (30kg trailer+dog weight, hills, wet), comfortable, flat bars, subtle (less attractive to thieves when on the back of the motorhome). Roads, fields/woods/easy trails. Ease of use is important rather than speed.

From this I think I want:
Hybrid (I don't know whether to have front suspension or not, will probably get a suspension seat post)
Disc brakes
Flat bars
Pannier mounts etc
2nd hand/cheapish/unattractive (I have good locks and it will be security marked)
700c wheels (so both our bikes are the same)

Please could you suggest makes and models to look out for? I'll watch on Ebay to see if anything local comes up so I can try it.

So far the names I have to look for (I haven't ridden any of these yet):
Boardman Hybrid Pro or Team
Whyte Stirling
Specialized Crosstrail
Voodoo Marasa

Budget - Below £500 (remember 2nd hand)

Thanks!
Moose

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte, - Cambridge or Sterling

Cycle surgery do Whyte and offer test rides I believe if you have one close

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I've a Voodoo Marasa,
4 year old,
18,000 mile on the clock
lots of miles, on and off road,
took my then 20 st
I've upgraded the wheels, the odd component..I wouldn't swop it for anything

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Trek 7.3 or 7.5 disc are worth looking at, used ones start at maybe 100 and go up to about 300 depending on condition, spec and age. They take a rack nicely and will lug a lot of weight (see pic of mine with rack fitted, mine's vee brake equipped but you get the drift), and they're comfortable especially with a saddle upgrade. Low key too.
I don't think you'd benefit from a suspension fork.
20170113_145938.jpg

20161227_144401.jpg

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Thank you all for those suggestions. I hadn't yet looked at the Treks or Ridgeback so am starting to read about them now.

My height and my inside leg measurement don't always match on the suggested frame sizes - which measurement should I prioritise?
Inside leg 31"/78cm
Height 5'6"/167cm
I'm female if that makes a difference.

My Dawes is a 52cm frame and the Dawes website suggests a 54cm frame (horizontal top tube) yet on mine I don't have any spare stand over height if I stand with flat feet (it is on Marathon 32 tyres). I find the upper body length on the Dawes is fine though I knee myself in the chest when in the drops.

Looking at Trek I would be on 17-18inch frame

Looking at Boardman I would be on Medium frame by inside leg, small frame by height.

So if there is a conflict in sizing between leg and overall height, which should I go for?

Thanks,
Moose

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Sizing is at best an inexact science and at worst it's a lottery, you sound like you're about right but best to just go and have a try when you see one you like, it's the only real way to know. I'm on quite a large frame in Trek bikes but only a medium or a m / l in Giants, and that depends on the type of bike geometry too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go sit on a few. Cycle republic (Halfords), Evans, cycle surgery all offer on road no obligation test rides

Whyte do women models too. They have a good sizing grid on their website for the R7 series

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a top of the range ridgeback hybrid about 7 yrs old now.Been and still is a fantastic bike.Its used everyday for my commute and has never cost anything other than brake blocks and chain and cassettes.
Mine was found abandoned in the garage of an Army house (NCO quarters) as pretty much a bare frame and built up by me to my own spec nearly 20yrs ago.

Sandra6

Veteran
Both the crosstrail and marasa can be bought new for around the £500 mark.
I 'm not a fan of the crosstrail though. Cannondale do the quick in both men's and ladies geometry. As you're not very tall you might find a ladies bike a better fit for you. The cannondale althea is also quite nice as a suspension hybrid, again less than £500 new. Or a specialized vita d.

chr15b

Über Member
I have the Boardman Team Hybrid and think it meets your needs perfectly. I got it at Halfords earlier this year for £550 so a used one should be in your budget.

Top Bottom