2nd hand subtle hybrid for everyday and adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Whyte, - Cambridge or Sterling

Cycle surgery do Whyte and offer test rides I believe if you have one close
I have a Cambridge and I wouldn't recommend it to the OP for that usage profile - it's a long way down the "fast road" end of the spectrum, and in particular clearances are rather tight, so guards and fatter tyres would be an issue. They are also rather showy iyswim, so might attract unwanted attention.

My recommendation would be a Pinnacle Lithium from the upper echelons of the range - say a P4 or 5 on the s/h market.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Cambridge and I wouldn't recommend it to the OP for that usage profile - it's a long way down the "fast road" end of the spectrum, and in particular clearances are rather tight, so guards and fatter tyres would be an issue. They are also rather showy iyswim, so might attract unwanted attention.

My recommendation would be a Pinnacle Lithium from the upper echelons of the range - say a P4 or 5 on the s/h market.
The OP mentions the Sterling however which is the same frame just slightly better/lighter components

I don't think grey or silver bikes are exactly showy

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Thanks for so many more suggestions.

Bear in mind I don't know brands or anything so the Whyte Stirling is just a name I have seen when reading the forum in the last few days. I haven't seen one in real life, let alone ridden one. If the Stirling and the Cambridge are more flat bar roadbikes with tight clearance/stiff ride then they might not be right for me.

This is why I posted here as I was getting so much conflicting information when I was reading the forum and it is so nice to have some people to ask and get suggestions for my particular situation! I'm taking down all the names suggested and looking up the bicycles. I hadn't heard of Pinnacle or the Vita D before and only seen Cube as road bikes so thank you for drawing my attention to those.

Moose :smile:

Last edited:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I can only say "Carrera Subway" for this. OK, it's Hellfrauds own make, but it's bomb proof, cheap, and comfy. I use one for work (cycling to schools in Co. Durham, and using it to deliver cycle training), and cover anything from 5 - 40 miles a day on it depending on which schools I'm at. The 26" wheeled frame will take 700s (that's what I've got on now) and is disc specific. Mine was less than £200, but add in £100 for a set of 700 wheels and you're laughing.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
The Cannondale Quick looks good, not any on Ebay near me at the moment but I'll keep looking.
The Cannondale Althea will be too upright.
Pinnacle Litium, Specialized Vita, Cube Curve I will look out on Ebay, there isn't currently anything nearby.

At the moment I am most drawn to the Boardman Pro/Team (there is one an hour's drive away at a good price) or a Trek. I was in my local bike project yesterday and they didn't have anything suitable 2nd hand. However, they are a Trek stockist so I could ask if they would part exchange for my Galaxy. But I don't really want something new. Hmmm.

Looks like I need to get to a Halfords/Cycle Republic to try out a Boardman, see if it fits and then maybe go for this one an hour away. I haven't so far as it seems cheeky to try out in a shop when I'm not planning on buying new. I certainly wouldn't do it in a LBS.

vickster

Legendary Member
Certainly CR won't mind. The Twickenham one said they'd be more that happy for me to take £1500+ road bikes out (in any weather) just to try out some groupsets to help me inform a build that will never come from them, this was something I told them straight out

Evans have the same attitude. And you can double your Tesco vouchers to redeem there

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The Cannondale Quick looks good, not any on Ebay near me at the moment but I'll keep looking.
The Cannondale Althea will be too upright.
Pinnacle Litium, Specialized Vita, Cube Curve I will look out on Ebay, there isn't currently anything nearby.

At the moment I am most drawn to the Boardman Pro/Team (there is one an hour's drive away at a good price) or a Trek. I was in my local bike project yesterday and they didn't have anything suitable 2nd hand. However, they are a Trek stockist so I could ask if they would part exchange for my Galaxy. But I don't really want something new. Hmmm.

Looks like I need to get to a Halfords/Cycle Republic to try out a Boardman, see if it fits and then maybe go for this one an hour away. I haven't so far as it seems cheeky to try out in a shop when I'm not planning on buying new. I certainly wouldn't do it in a LBS.

Why not? They tend to be over priced compared to the big box shops when it comes to retail. Their market is in repairs and spare parts. how do I know this? My Great Uncle had a bike shop in Alnwick - R&K Wilson - that he inherited from his uncle and ran for over 60 years, selling spare parts and repairing bikes. New bike sales were a tiny part of his income, and whilst he always had a great display of new bikes, they weren't his. They were still owned by the distibutors, who rented shop space from him.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I could buy new but would prefer a bike that looks a little scruffy/used than all sparkly new so it seems silly to pay a premium for new :biggrin: It also means I can either spend less or get a better bike for the same money.

I'll do a trip into town tomorrow and see what Cycle Republic or Evans say about test rides. If they are fine with it then great! I hadn't thought about smaller shops not owning the new stock, that is a good point.

rivers

How far can I go?
If you go new, check out the Pinnacle Neon range. I think the Neon 3 is around £600 new (so slightly over your budget, but will come in cheaper used. or be marked down soon), but has a Sora groupset and hydraulic disc brakes. My wife has a Neon 2, which she loves. It's nippy, has rack and mudguard mounts (we put a rack on hers). It has internal cable routing, 700c wheels, and flat bar. They are also non-descript as well, and just kind of blend into the background.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I test rode a Boardman Pro (really really liked it), Boardman Team (didn't like it as much), saw a Cannondale Quick (they only had a very small women's version so no point trying), Pinnacle Neons and Lithium (none of the higher range models in stock), Specialized Vita and Crosstrail (too heavy).

The Boardman Pro is lovely, so I think I will try to buy the one an hour away from me.

If I don't get that then I'll do a trip to some other shops to try out Treks and a normal Cannondale Quick and keep watching the second hand market.

Trying bikes is fun! :biggrin:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
If you really enjoyed the Pro and think it would work for your requirements then you're more down the "road" end of hybrids and should probably take a look at the Whytes, which are that way inclined, too.

MarkF

Guru
View attachment 365153 If you can do without disc brakes get an old Ridgeback and uprate the transmission/wheels, mine is fantastic.

Mine is too.:okay:

I also have a 501 Dawes Discovery, these have a suspension seat post and I find it all day comfy, they can appear drab compared to other similar bikes, particularly mine with a matt black paint scheme, but I think "Who'd want to nick it"?

TBh I am not sold on suspension seat posts, I've had 3 on different bikes and after a while all have just sunk when I sit on and don't move again.....till I get off.

Top Bottom