3 Bikes on a roof?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
has anybody tried to go in to a multi storey carpark with them on...

Terrible confession. Yes. With lovely new carbon bike on top :ohmy:

The good news is that the entire rack, bars and all, just hopped off the car and landed upright behind, bike still attached!

The bike was entirely undamaged.

I would not recommend anyone to try this at home.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is absolutely no help to the OP but I often wonder.......how do you reach to fix the bikes properly ? I am just 5' 7" and would need steps.

Get steps. Saloon car, so manageable, not on my wife's Squashy. Some of the reason I've kept my 16 year old Nissan, the bloody rack was expensive. The feet alone are about £200, £50 a corner for other cars. Even with the lighter 'freeride' racks, with 4 it's a two person job to put on the car. It's a heavy racking system. If you've got Pro-ride then even heavier.

Not really worried about roof weight - it's not affected the car much, but it's not got a sun roof or glass.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks folks for positive comments. I reckon I'm just a worrier.. Never did like having the rear carrier on. Never seemed safe.

Going to have a look at getting some bars and racks then. The 2 road bikes should be okay to lift up might struggle with the mtb though will have to see if i can lift it onto the roof before i get the bars.

And has anybody tried to go in to a multi storey carpark with them on....thats a fear of mine as well...

Having been hit up the botty, with two bikes in the boot of a small hatch, I was worried about the bikes, more than the car. At the rear, for a car and all sorts of dirt, nope. They can sit on the roof and we take it easy, or go inside if only a couple. I'm looking at a people carrier next though, as it's not great hoisting 4 bikes on a normal car roof with a dodgy back- fortunately the bikes are half decent, so not 100 tonnes.

This is absolutely no help to the OP but I often wonder.......how do you reach to fix the bikes properly ? I am just 5' 7" and would need steps.
20181010_210256.jpg

Take steps. 5'8".
:smile:

lazyfatgit

And has anybody tried to go in to a multi storey carpark with them on....thats a fear of mine as well...

You will only do this once. You may find others driving your car will try it more often.

I put a traffic cone in our carport when we leave on a longer trip in case we are tired and inattentive on return.

If i cant fit bike in the vehicle then i prefer roof mount over other carrier types. They may be catching flies and burning extra fuel but least likely to get banged or tampered with and you dont restrict boot access or obstruct lighting, no plate etc.

OP
OP
simon the viking
You will only do this once. You may find others driving your car will try it more often.

I put a traffic cone in our carport when we leave on a longer trip in case we are tired and inattentive on return.

If i cant fit bike in the vehicle then i prefer roof mount over other carrier types. They may be catching flies and burning extra fuel but least likely to get banged or tampered with and you dont restrict boot access or obstruct lighting, no plate etc.

My wife can't drive so I'm only driver so if it happens its going to be me!

tamiya

Lately I'm eyeing a big wire basket over the roof, bikes can just lay flat... might pad between with blankets to reduce chips.

Can't load standup carriers, too short/weak/unco :smile:

OP
OP
simon the viking
Bit of a fred resurrection ...

I've looked at roof bars etc and realised that for a decent bar set up and bike carriers I'm looking at least £200.

I want quality as a lot of weight and Bike-cash up there. Safety is obviously paramount but feel that's a lot for something that will get limited use at most couple of times a month over the spring/summer and then it would sit empty on my roof as its faff to get on and off... and I would need some small steps in the car as I've tried lifting the MTB's bikes (thread originally said one MTB and 2 roadies, time has moved on, now its 2 MTB'S and a roadie) as high as the roof...

So I've looked boot carriers again last time was a cheapy this time I've looked at Thule and Mont Blanc £100 to £150 they seem good but then spotted this...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-rear-car-bike-rack-3-bikes-id_8342387.html

At £49.99 (or they do a higher one at £69.99) it looks very secure and I think even the lower one will clear my lights Side straps and a selection of different fitting clips make this a step up from the normal cheaper ones. wont really need boot access while its in use so not an issue.

Thoughts?

Despite the obvious downsides as you point out, to me top mount is still the way to go, unless you have a towbar already fitted, which you don't. I've used a boot mount, and found it to feel insecure. It did do the job, but I just wasn't happy. And all this with one mtb or road bike.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Despite the obvious downsides as you point out, to me top mount is still the way to go, unless you have a towbar already fitted, which you don't. I've used a boot mount, and found it to feel insecure. It did do the job, but I just wasn't happy. And all this with one mtb or road bike.
I've seen the fab Thule platform carrier for towbar. If I had a towbar I would happily go down that route at 200 quid because it looks the best option by far.

I know what you are saying about boot mounted racks but the video on their site makes it look very secure.

Doing nothing until the new year so haven't decided totally yet against roof. Just 2 MTBs on the roof seems a lot of wieight for a smallish hatchback

Leaway2

Lycrist
I have one of these. The weight is on the roof rather than the glass, which I was never keen on. Ive used it a couple of times and it was OK. The bikes are high and no need for extra lights/number plate (on my car).

rack

OP
OP
simon the viking
Decisions.......

@CarlP how do find lifting an MTB onto a roof do you find you need a short of steps.

The 2 MTBs aren't light I reckon13 to 15 kg each.. Mrs V Boardman Race is probably around 8 kg should it ever want to accompany its 2 mates on there... I know the racks will hold them but its the lifting them up.

Top Bottom