3 Bikes on a roof?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Decisions.......

@CarlP how do find lifting an MTB onto a roof do you find you need a short of steps.

The 2 MTBs aren't light I reckon13 to 15 kg each.. Mrs V Boardman Race is probably around 8 kg should it ever want to accompany its 2 mates on there... I know the racks will hold them but its the lifting them up.

I was fine with it, I'm 6ft so no steps were needed, the mbts are not that heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I find lifting bikes up there a great deal of effort and pain, even with steps. I'm not that strong, and one arm is faulty. But the roof is still my preferred option in the absence of a towbar.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Until you want to get in the boot, or some twonker rear ends you. I like them being safely out of harms way on the roof, just remember the extra height if you go into any carparks or similar!

And has anybody tried to go in to a multi storey carpark with them on....thats a fear of mine as well...

Terrible confession. Yes. With lovely new carbon bike on top :ohmy:
bike wreck.gif

:whistle: :laugh:

I carried 3 adult sized mtb's regularly on a car in the past, with no dramas at all.
It was a cavalier, which did not have "coffin rails" so it used roof bars which located into small holes in the top of the door frames.
As long as you can physically lift the bikes onto the roof, and can reach the bike holders to be able to clamp or strap the bikes in place, then I would say go for it. Just remember not to go under height barriers!

OP
OP
simon the viking
Ive looked into roof bars. I thought mine had a hidden gutter under a strip on the roof.... But I lifted the trim and it bolts on to top of door frame so bit happier with fixing. Not sure which to go yet

I would have to get some 2 tread steps if i go that route...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A good case for swapping them all for aero bikes.

Next car either needs to accept the same roof rack fittings, or I need a van. My Thule feet can change the metal gripper for 'gutterless cars'. My current car is gutterless, but has locating holes above each door for a pin on the Thule rack. I can change the metal 'clamp' for one without the pin. The rack was a big investment, and has been used loads. I keep the bigger bikes near the outside for the weight. The FS isn't too bad to fit, but if you can't do it in one lift, things get sweary with my back issues.... front wheel won't locate, whilst trying to lift a big trail bike.

Ohhh the days of a 9kg steel race road bike......

OP
OP
simon the viking
Fred resurrection (again)

Ordered some Mont Blanc kit through a supplier at work, a pair of bars. They fix into predrillled and threded holes under door rubber and 2 matching racks total 98 quid all in. Will post a photo when they are fitted

205330_Front_MB_B_PR_205330.png

238740_Front_MB_RB_PR_Supra_fixpoint.png

OP
OP
simon the viking
Fred resurrection....

Finally got round to fitting these and took mine and little V's MTBs to hicks lodge. They stayed on.
IMG_20190416_095145.jpg

Really impressed didnt even notice they were there accelaration handling etc...

Siclo

Veteran
Top tip: get a small model bike, I've got one of these and hang it from the rear view mirror whenever you load the bikes, that way every time you look in the mirror you'll get a reminder the bikes are up there.

Also know how high the motor is with the bikes on, write it down and keep it somewhere visible, there are a few bridges near me that I can't get under with the bikes on.

rivers

How far can I go?
We have a Thule Velocompact tow bar for the van and a Thule 9104 for the Picanto. The Velocompact is brilliant. Sturdy, easy to mount on the van, easy to mount the bikes onto. It also tilts so you can still access the boot if you have it on a normal car. The 9104 is shite. One of my bikes barely fits on it, the other's frame is too small, it's wobbly as f*ck and needs to be secured to the car with additional ratchet straps, and we have to bungie the bikes to the rack so they don't fly off either.

Johnno260

Veteran
Until you want to get in the boot, or some twonker rear ends you. I like them being safely out of harms way on the roof, just remember the extra height if you go into any carparks or similar!

Unless you get one that tilts, the Thule 943 I'm looking at does this so you still have some boot access.

I can't use a boot door mounted one on the S-Max as it's totally plastic!

Top Bottom