3 Grand. Bike of a lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You forgot to say... they're as ugly as sin...;)
:giggle: :popcorn:

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
It's approaching crunch time on this. My initial limit has stretched a bit, but I have finally made a decision. I toyed with the idea of a Cervelo S3 for many months but came to the conclusion that if I had an aero frame I'd be duty bound to fling it around at 20mph+ pretty much all the time, which isn't going to happen. So there will be a nod to aero advantage with the weirdly named 'Squoval' tubing of the Cervelo R3 with Ultegra Di2. The complete bike comes with Mavic Aksiums, a Rotor 52/36 chainset and FSA cockpit, so the only decision left is whether or not to have a custom build done. Wheels wise I am thinking along the lines of Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C35's, 3T Ergonova bars and matching 3T stem. A cheaper wheel alternative would be American Classic 420 Aero 3's. Going for fitting next week and hopefully will be ordered and ready to collect on 1st Sept, the day after my official retirement date. Being only semi-retired I won't get a lot of opportunity to play with it until the following weekend. At least it is a fairly understated bike unlike the S3 which would have been a magnet for every scalper in Berkshire.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I run a full 3T cockpit on both my road bikes @Winnershsaint

3T Ergonova Team carbon bars
3T Doric Team carbon seat post
3T Arx Team aluminium stem

I also have the American Classic Aero 3 420 wheel set which you can see in 'Show us your Aluminium' & 'Show us your self build' threads *fairly recent posts*

The AC's I find plenty stiff & they are light for an Alu wheel of that depth too.

One thing to be careful of if buying or ordering the Ergonova & some other 3T bars is that because of the way 3T measure their bars, they come up a little small, so for example I had to have 44cm bars to achieve a more normal 42cm size *the difference is actual about 1 > 1.5cm which doesn't sound a lot but is a big difference in the hand as it were.

A colleague I know has the Cervelo R3 & loves it if that is any help to you.

Onyer

It's approaching crunch time on this. My initial limit has stretched a bit, but I have finally made a decision. I toyed with the idea of a Cervelo S3 for many months but came to the conclusion that if I had an aero frame I'd be duty bound to fling it around at 20mph+ pretty much all the time, which isn't going to happen. So there will be a nod to aero advantage with the weirdly named 'Squoval' tubing of the Cervelo R3 with Ultegra Di2. The complete bike comes with Mavic Aksiums, a Rotor 52/36 chainset and FSA cockpit, so the only decision left is whether or not to have a custom build done. Wheels wise I am thinking along the lines of Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C35's, 3T Ergonova bars and matching 3T stem. A cheaper wheel alternative would be American Classic 420 Aero 3's. Going for fitting next week and hopefully will be ordered and ready to collect on 1st Sept, the day after my official retirement date. Being only semi-retired I won't get a lot of opportunity to play with it until the following weekend. At least it is a fairly understated bike unlike the S3 which would have been a magnet for every scalper in Berkshire.
I am also considering a Cervelo for the same reason as you - blowing some of my pension fund on it before I am too old to ride! Where are you buying the R3 from?

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
I am also considering a Cervelo for the same reason as you - blowing some of my pension fund on it before I am too old to ride! Where are you buying the R3 from?
Boutique Cycles, Murrell Green Business Park off the A30 between Hook and Hartley Wintney. Good advice, good people.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
I run a full 3T cockpit on both my road bikes @Winnershsaint

3T Ergonova Team carbon bars
3T Doric Team carbon seat post
3T Arx Team aluminium stem

I also have the American Classic Aero 3 420 wheel set which you can see in 'Show us your Aluminium' & 'Show us your self build' threads *fairly recent posts*

The AC's I find plenty stiff & they are light for an Alu wheel of that depth too.

One thing to be careful of if buying or ordering the Ergonova & some other 3T bars is that because of the way 3T measure their bars, they come up a little small, so for example I had to have 44cm bars to achieve a more normal 42cm size *the difference is actual about 1 > 1.5cm which doesn't sound a lot but is a big difference in the hand as it were.

A colleague I know has the Cervelo R3 & loves it if that is any help to you.
That is one lairy bike. My Cube Peloton is five years old and has seen better days sitting forlornly on the turbo with paint bubbling on the top and down tubes.. Thanks for the heads up about the 3T bars and an endorsement of the wheels. Think I might go for the black rims if i decide on them. I suspect the cockpit may well end up pretty similar to the one you have with carbon post and bars.

OP
OP
Winnershsaint
Yeah, it's plenty loud enough but I don't really do subdued & understated.

Not everyone's cup of tea but suits me sir.
Looks like you've thought long and hard about colour coordination! Seriously though, it is important that the wheels suit the bike, in your case they add something rather than detract from it

Yazzoo

How exciting, just read this thread from start to finish - i'm impressed with your patience!

I was in a similar spending position not so long ago, wanted something a bit different looking, liked the look of the Ritte bikes but not so much in the flesh. Ended up buying this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/de-rosa-888-superking-ultegra-6800-2015/ (from a shop though not Wiggle) and I absolutely love it, as well as being a comfortable joy to ride it does excite me, when I see it I want to ride it - something i've never felt for the old Trek. Our local club is mainly Trek, Giant and Cannondale as this is what the nearest shops to us stock.

I really rate it but think you've also made a good decision with yours, I looked at them as well!

Cyclist33

How exciting, just read this thread from start to finish - i'm impressed with your patience!

I was in a similar spending position not so long ago, wanted something a bit different looking, liked the look of the Ritte bikes but not so much in the flesh. Ended up buying this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/de-rosa-888-superking-ultegra-6800-2015/ (from a shop though not Wiggle) and I absolutely love it, as well as being a comfortable joy to ride it does excite me, when I see it I want to ride it - something i've never felt for the old Trek. Our local club is mainly Trek, Giant and Cannondale as this is what the nearest shops to us stock.

I really rate it but think you've also made a good decision with yours, I looked at them as well!

Blimey you could have got twice the bike at half that price!!

Top Bottom