3 Pistes Cycle Scottish Highands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I wish I could climb, that looks a good route

format

Über Member
What sort of state was the Tak in? the road was starting to get a bit bumpy in places, the council could do with giving it a once over..

Yeah, it's not ideal. I did it from the Kilsyth side though and once you're over the top, the descent down to the carron valley road was okay (barring that deadly river crossing, of course)

They've just resurfaced parts of the carron valley road too, although the descent into Fintry still isn't great.

@Waspie @Pedrosanchezo

Hows the training going for this ride? Thats me just starting to get the hill in for it, a wee bit of more weight to shift until i hit where i was at the end of last summer...I`ve not done a century ride this year, biggest was only about 80 mile and i really struggled on it..so i need to get a big distance ride in soon, i`ve got the Etape Loch Ness as my only sportive before this event, that has a big climb in it and it should give me got test on to see where my fitness is before this monster sportive.

I've been putting in some decent miles this winter as i've got Kinross, Fred Whitton, 3 Pistes and Bealach Mor all booked. Last winter was mostly Turbo work but the weather has been more accessible this year. Think i've managed a long distance ride every weekend since December. I done a silly amount of hill training in January too. Really wanted a rock solid base to work from this year so i can work on intensity for RR and TT.

Think distance wise i am just shy of 2000 miles from January 1st. Not too shabby.

Feel good. :biggrin:

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
That's good miles for this year, am only at 1250 miles for the year , but done my first sportive of the year last weekend, got the Etape loch ness and the tour o the borders booked so far this year... It's only been in the last couple of weeks that the climbing fitness has come back to me...

I was in 2 minds what bike to take for the 3 pistes, my specialized bike is built more for comfort over the longer distances yet my giant TCR climbs 100 times better than my other bike, I think I'll be on my TCR.

Waspie

Über Member
@Waspie @Pedrosanchezo

Hows the training going for this ride? Thats me just starting to get the hill in for it, a wee bit of more weight to shift until i hit where i was at the end of last summer...I`ve not done a century ride this year, biggest was only about 80 mile and i really struggled on it..so i need to get a big distance ride in soon, i`ve got the Etape Loch Ness as my only sportive before this event, that has a big climb in it and it should give me got test on to see where my fitness is before this monster sportive.

Was going ok, Have done a handful of hilly 80/90 milers this year and was quite pleased with how I was feeling, a knee injury has set me back a bit though. Couldn't bend my leg properly for about a week but back on the bike now and feeling not bad, but not done a long ride since the injury. That could/should change this weekend - signed up for More Passes that Mastermind..

I'm just not sure it's a good idea to throw myself straight into a cycle of that distance and find the knee isn't quite as good as I thought it was 50 miles from the car :ohmy:

TT season starts tomorrow as well which should help with the fitness, going to give it a couple of weeks before starting them though.

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Looked at the more passes than mastermoind ride, but i was worried about it being so early in the year and the winter we had last year put me of it incase i didn`t get the winter miles in, it looks a stunning route

edindave

Über Member
That looks a fairly evil route. :thumbsup:
The climb after Talla will definitely be evil. I've not done it that way. It was scary enough in the other direction.

Looked at the more passes than mastermoind ride, but i was worried about it being so early in the year and the winter we had last year put me of it incase i didn`t get the winter miles in, it looks a stunning route
I would love to do it this year but I'll be away this weekend.

Top Bottom