3 Pistes Cycle Scottish Highands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The Talla climb must be doable - I've managed it a few years ago ... part of some Peebles sportive, IIRC. Much safer going up than down that bit - too much gravel for a decent descent ...
scared003_2.gif

Those who have said they are doing the 3 Pistes - from what I know of you, you are all well capable of doing it. :thumbsup: It's 'only' 165km - not much more than half the Snow Roads - and that was doable even by me :ohmy: ...

It'll be all about pacing it sensibly and not racing up hills. Conserving energy is the key to long distance rides, for me anyway.
This is the way to do it - + feeding plenty.

You'll make it. :thumbsup: ^_^

Waspie

Über Member
The climb after Talla will definitely be evil. I've not done it that way. It was scary enough in the other direction.

I find climbing Talla preferable to descending it. Not that I enjoy climbing it much!

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
King Of The Mountain

With 97 miles already in your legs we all know that the final climb from Loch Morlich up to CairnGorm’s Coire Cas Car Park will be brutal.
Well, to give you an added bit of climbing incentive we have added a timing station at the foot of the climb so you can test your final endurance levels against the clock.
Put those pies down, stop eating that chocolate or drinking those fizzy drinks and get the miles in.

Waspie

Über Member
King Of The Mountain

With 97 miles already in your legs we all know that the final climb from Loch Morlich up to CairnGorm’s Coire Cas Car Park will be brutal.
Well, to give you an added bit of climbing incentive we have added a timing station at the foot of the climb so you can test your final endurance levels against the clock.
Put those pies down, stop eating that chocolate or drinking those fizzy drinks and get the miles in.

I'm sure I'll be flying up the hills by that stage in the day. :whistle:

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

I'd hate to see the state i am in by the time i hit this last climb..safe to say the strava KOM are safe

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Did any of you lot see this on the 3 pistes facebook/website?...It`s got me worried a wee bit, if a fit club rider can say that he doesn`t think he will manage one of the climbs then a overweight ginger like me is really not going to be able to it...

Route report from Leitholm CC ride on 5th April

Liam from Leitholm CC rode much of the 3 pistes route yesterday. Here is his report as posted on 3 Pistes FaceBook page.
Some route info? This was yesterday’s route check. Road surfaces are good as well.
After doing the 3 Pistes Sportive Route on 5th April 2014 with my mate Andy I thought this summary may help anyone doing the event in June this year. I would class myself as a reasonably fit club cyclist so I hope this helps?
On the day I ran out of time because I had a train back to Pitlochry booked at 4.35pm and never got to the finish, which will be the Aviemore Ski Centre. So although my total mileage was 103 miles and maximum climbing elevation was 6860 ft probably 1000 ft short approx.
Start time in Pitlochry, 8.30am
Ride time, 6hrs 37mins
Distance 103 miles
Average speed 15.5 mph.
Calories, 4516.
My bike, Specialized Tarmac SL3.
Gearing, 53-39 chainset with 28-11 cassette. (consider a compact!)
Deep section wheels will not help descending in cross winds. I had mine on as the wind was light but the descents are fast, really fast!
Food, I got through x4 750ml bottles with high 5 tabs in each one, x4 jam pieces, 2 bananas, 4 gels, x1 packet bloks energy chews, a crunchie and a stop 60 miles in for a massive bacon & egg roll! Then had a sausage supper when I got back to Pitlochry.
This route starts uphill with gradients from 3% – 14% for about 4 miles, there after rolling/flat until the first major climb of the day around 30 ish miles in to Glenshee. Average gradients on this climb 4% – 13% for about 3 miles from Spittal of Glenshee. Take care on the descent!!
From the summit Its a rolling run to and through Braemar right up until the left turn for Tomintoul. Here the pain begins around 48 miles in. From this turn it’s 4% – 18% rolling gradient up to 2200ft ish. This is a B road so extreme care on the descent! A sharp right hand nearly caught me out!
When you’re down you join the A944 turning left over the River Don. Just along this road on the right is an excellent cafe and I would recommend you stop and fuel up! Because just up the road after Cock Bridge comes the Hell of the North after 60 miles in! Steep gradients x2 20%, 14%, 12%, 10% and very, very long 5-8% drags! The 3 Pistes cover photo of the road up to the Lecht looks nice, but believe me when you see it after you’ve done a sharp 18% hill its big. It’s the only time we thought “I’m not sure I can get up this”. You’ve been warned!
Over the cattle grid and you’re descending, fast! down 15-20%!!!
Enjoy the run into Tomintoul by here its about 70 miles in. Don’t think the climbings over yet tho! There are few more 10-14% hills waiting around Bridge of Brown. After this it’s rolling/flat back into Aviemore. Just remember the climbing’s still not done, the Aviemore Ski Centre Awaits!!!!!
In Summary then:
If you think you can rock up and do with little no preparation, you’ll be in a world of pain! Please dont think because you’ve done a 50 mile, 75 mile or 90 mile event that an extra 12 or so miles will be ok. It’s not on this route!
I would recommend a high quality pad in your breeks!
Do not underestimate this route!
Hope everyone who’s entering has a brilliant day on their bikes, we did but it was one of the hardest I’ve ever had.
Allez!
Leitholm CC

format

Über Member
Did 93 miles and 1500m of climbing at the weekend there... don't feel quite ready for the 3 pistes yet! Quite glad it's still a wee bit away.

Hope everyone who’s entering has a brilliant day on their bikes, we did but it was one of the hardest I’ve ever had.
Allez!
Leitholm CC

That's Liam who I was out with yesterday for 80 miles, he said he'd written an article for the 3 Pistes webpage. He said it was the hardest day he's ever had on a bike.

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

That's Liam who I was out with yesterday for 80 miles, he said he'd written an article for the 3 Pistes webpage. He said it was the hardest day he's ever had on a bike.

That sort of the talk ain't helping me..

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It goes in twists and turns uphill :sad: .... forever :ohmy: .... and it's (only) steep-ish :wacko:... relative to some of the others :eek: ....

Nae bother :bravo:

Ask him what he made of the Lecht climb...Am pooing myself at the thought of it

I already know what he thinks of it :evil: But I cannae tell you cos it'll just put you off :laugh:

I've ridden the Lecht a few times from both directions and much prefer the way you guys on this route approach it; nothing to do with the climbing which is just as bad but mostly due to the descent which is much better.

Although the Glenshee climb is much harder than in the opposite direction. :heat:

Waspie

Über Member
Did any of you lot see this on the 3 pistes facebook/website?...It`s got me worried a wee bit, if a fit club rider can say that he doesn`t think he will manage one of the climbs then a overweight ginger like me is really not going to be able to it...

Tug, I wouldn't worry based on what you put up on Strava, if you can get up the steep part of the Redstone Rigg you can climb most of what Scotland can throw at you I would say. The Lecht climb is pretty brutal at the start but I suspect the guys gearing is the issue, have you got a compact?

Top Bottom