32 to 28mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My flat bar commuter currently has 32mm tyres. I'm replacing the rear with 28mm. Will also replaced the front with 28mm when it wears out.

Until then, what handling / comfort repercussions can I expect by running the different sizes?

My flat bar commuter currently has 32mm tyres. I'm replacing the rear with 28mm. Will also replaced the front with 28mm when it wears out.

Until then, what handling / comfort repercussions can I expect by running the different sizes?

I've ran tyres the other way round, a small on the front and a wider tyre on the back, it makes almost no difference Sheldon does a piece on it.

Mixing/Matching Tires
Most bikes come with identical tires front and rear. This is all right for general use, but if you want to optimize your bike, you should consider using different tires front and rear. The front and rear tires have different loadings and different requirements.

• Narrower Front, Wider Rear
    If lightness is the primary goal, tire width/weight is limited by the risk of pinch cut flats, a.k.a. "snake bites." Since there is more weight carried on the rear tire, you can get away with a slightly narrower tire in front than you can in back.

• Wider Front, Narrower Rear
    A wider front tire makes sense in many applications, however, when handling and ride comfort are considered. A wider tire will generally provide better cornering traction than a narrower one, assuming appropriate inflation pressure. A wider tire also provides superior shock absorbency. I personally prefer a slightly wider tire in front, since I suffer from some wrist discomfort on occasion.

On a separate note, for safety I'd prefer to put the new tyre on the front and swap the old front tyre to the rear.

Top Bottom