32mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Just wanted to put a review up, I just changed from 28c to 32c gp5000 tyres. I have only done to short trips on them so far but seem really positive. I took about 15psi out of what I was running the 28s at but may try losing another 5psi and see how that goes. The ride seems a lot smoother and no noticeable effect on speed, although I will test this when I do my usual bigger loop. So if your debating going bigger on my early opinion I’d say go for it

Ajax Bay

Guru
How do they measure up (width), exactly? With what internal rim width and at what pressure?
I have clearance for 32mm with mudguards on a new (to me) build).
The GP4000s 28-622 always measured up larger than spec (for me on 15mm rims at 90psi) by maybe 2mm. I expected the 5000s to be similar but I fitted a GP5000 28-622 on the same rim and it came out on spec

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

How do they measure up (width), exactly? With what internal rim width and at what pressure?
I have clearance for 32mm with mudguards on a new (to me) build).
The GP4000s 28-622 always measured up larger than spec (for me on 15mm rims at 90psi) by maybe 2mm. I expected the 5000s to be similar but I fitted a GP5000 28-622 on the same rim and it came out on spec
My rims are 20mm internal. Have them set at 65 and 85psi. I had a quick look with some callipers and just measured the widest part and they were 31.5-32 so bang on size

OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

Just to update after doing a couple more rides I have now set a couple of pbs on Strava so definitely minimal effect on speed and the comfort is greatly improved. Couldn’t do my high speed test, got a long 6-7mins all slightly downhill and went for it today but just before getting there I had gearing issues and lost half my gears 😡

Ajax Bay

Guru
"High speed test" differentials will be caused by aero changes (drag proportional to v^3) and wind conditions. Any reduction in tyre rolling resistance will have minimal effect, if one believes the maths (I do).
The run from Sharpitor to Yelverton is a cracker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daninplymouth

Daninplymouth

"High speed test" differentials will be caused by aero changes (drag proportional to v^3) and wind conditions. Any reduction in tyre rolling resistance will have minimal effect, if one believes the maths (I do).
The run from Sharpitor to Yelverton is a cracker.
Yes I know that but as iv been down the same road many times and I only head that way on a tailwind it would give a rough idea on how they compare

Top Bottom