35mins to put on a brand new Schwalbe Marathon. Anyone take longer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Through experience, I am extremely reluctant to use levers to put a tyre back on, but after thirty odd minutes trying to use my hands (I have a strong grip), I had to relent. I've heard of these tyres giving other people problems, but this was a first for me. The thought of doing this outside, in this weather, gives me the shakes. Anyone taken longer than this?
(Oh, and the brakes decided to come out in sympathy and I had to spend another half-an-hour fettling with them.:whistle:)

potsy

Rambler
I believe it once took @vickster 3 days to put a tyre on, no idea if it was a Marathon :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tyre levers for tricky tyres and talc. Have to do that with the Snow Studs, no other way, and certainly not now with my loss of grip/strength. Got them off OK with some bendy michelin levers.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tyre levers for tricky tyres and talc. Have to do that with the Snow Studs, no other way, and certainly not now with my loss of grip/strength. Got them off OK with some bendy michelin levers.
My snow/winter tyres (can't remember which ones they are) almost slid on this year.... but the brand new tyre I put on the other bike back in October cost a lot of swearing, give up, have a coffee and another go after a break!!! I'm not looking forward to taking them off the next time I need to.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
certainly not now with my loss of grip/strength
I never had the grip in my spindly fingers, so I've always used levers. Cheap cheese ones will break (I've had a few giveaways), but I've some long-service EBC Revolution levers that come on the road with me, as well as relatively new Crank Brothers Speedier Lever and some red Bontrager ones which I'm trying in the warmth of home. I think you get to recognise when a lever is about to stop bending and start breaking after a few :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My first time it took me one hour to change the inner on a Marathon original :eek:
Mind, I was indoors, no no big deal. The second time, on the same tyre, it was easy, they soften with use.
A brand new Marathon plus took me about 20 min.
Ice tyres I find easy, 10 min max.
I don't use levers: if I can't manage by pulling the tyre, I stand on it to get more leverage :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think I took over an hour to get a Marathon Plus on, and used at least a dozen cable ties while wrestling with it. Blood was oozing out from under both thumbnails by the end.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I reckon it'd take me at least an hour and even then bits of the inner tube would be sticking out. I carry a spare tube in the hope some kind person who likes fitting inner tubes will pass by, if i puncture, but they're supposed to be puncture proof so it wont happen right?!

Ian193

Über Member
Last time I changed the tyres (continental gator Hardshell) I did both of them before my other half realised I'd finished about 15 mins for the pair

Top Bottom