35mins to put on a brand new Schwalbe Marathon. Anyone take longer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I did one in the car park at work before xmas, not sure if it was 35 minutes, but I almost immediately resorted to levers and it still took me bleedin' ages.

jay clock

Massive member
Marathons on a Brompton, allow half a day. And what's with all this no levers nonsense? I have done dozens and never had a problem. These TACX ones are my faves and I have several pairs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacx-Tyre-Levers-Box-Pieces/dp/B004CS9TAI

Sara_H

Guru
Through experience, I am extremely reluctant to use levers to put a tyre back on, but after thirty odd minutes trying to use my hands (I have a strong grip), I had to relent. I've heard of these tyres giving other people problems, but this was a first for me. The thought of doing this outside, in this weather, gives me the shakes. Anyone taken longer than this?
(Oh, and the brakes decided to come out in sympathy and I had to spend another half-an-hour fettling with them.:whistle:)
It's taken me days before now. I've iften just given up and used a different bike!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Pedro's Levers are the danglies for big tyres that won't go on. The Decathlon levers are also very good for the money. Got two sets now.

Yep I use the Decathlon ones. I always use levers to put tyres back on. Never had a problem and must have had dozens of punctures. So long as you check that the innertube can't be seen once the tyre is back on there doesn't seem to be a problem

Mike!

Guru
My pro lite revo wheels are horrible for fitting tyres. Had to resort to levers after trying talc and cable ties!

I'm dreading getting a puncture but hoping maybe the tyre will have stretched by then! (Rubino pro folding)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Use plastic levers.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Perhaps I have just been fortunate but I seldom need to use levers and on the rare occasions when I do, I dig out my old set of Woolies best and they do the business just fine.

Postmanhat

Any tyre that takes more than 15 minutes to change = returned/landfill. That's with tyre levers of course. Some people really haven't progressed from the 60s?

Top Bottom