38.1mph!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockhammer

Ha, fastest I have managed so far is 21.8mph. I am running an old MTB with knobblies on though and I'm a total newbie so I have found myself braking a bit, guess I don't have full confidence in the bike yet. It was an old second hand bike so still unsure of it. Have put my name down for a Defy 2 so hopefully the confidence of a new bike will get me going faster. My last bike riding was 20 years ago and I was pretty fearless, guess it's an age thing as well.

56.7mph, but that was Widcombe Hill in Bath, on an hardtail MTB with slicks.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Greater mass does give greater momemtum, but that only affects the force applied when the moving object strikes another object. The mass doesn't affect the speed. Mind you, the larger person does have an air smoothed casing to give an aerodynamic advantage over the skinny racing snakes with all those knobbly bits.
Anyway, my Pashley and I have just seen 40.1 mph down one of those hills around The Lenches near Evesham. Jolly thrilling.

Gary E

Veteran
I set my speed record in March of last year (55.5 mph) on my Hybrid.
Despite doing the same hill numerous times since, on both my Hybrid and my Road bike I've not managed to beat it (and just for the record I'm heavier now than I was then).
All of my attempts down that particular hill are over 50 mph but the magic 56 eludes me. I can only pedal up to about 35 mph and then it's just a case of tucking in and trying to stay brave enough not to touch the brakes ^_^
I can only think that on that day the wind must have been helping.

Anyway, my Pashley and I have just seen 40.1 mph down one of those hills around The Lenches near Evesham. Jolly thrilling.

Oh I have happy memories of my Pashley Roadster.:smooch:

I have managed 31mph down one of the hills into Willersey off Saintbury Hill. The hybrid was vibrating and juddering well, my knuckles had gone white hanging on so tight.

My record this year is 34.6 mph, get a few 30mph +'s, my avg max sp is about 27mph. i have hit above 40 in the past, but the bike was geared differently and on a steeper longer hill than most around here.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm usually above 40mph on my commute on both long downhills.

Saturday's ride sees 45-53mph coming down of Holme Moss depending upon the wind/rain/road surface dampness.

Top Bottom