38.1mph!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
50 points for the first eagle eyed person to spot the problem with GPS speed recording...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348660640.822819.jpg

lejogger

Guru
max speed recorded is 40 so GPS glitch/dropout on a descent?
The silly thing is, I DID actually achieve the 52mph max speed indicated. It was a group ride, we all knew about the descent so we all paid attention at the same time and they all recorded speeds over 50mph too. So I have no idea why the graph would show my top speed to only be 40. There must have been some sort of glitch at some point I guess.
It was in deepest darkest Wales... Maybe the satellites don't work so well there!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
The silly thing is, I DID actually achieve the 52mph max speed indicated. It was a group ride, we all knew about the descent so we all paid attention at the same time and they all recorded speeds over 50mph too. So I have no idea why the graph would show my top speed to only be 40. There must have been some sort of glitch at some point I guess.
It was in deepest darkest Wales... Maybe the satellites don't work so well there!

does anything work there :whistle:

technology wise of course! lol. i do have working family members there! lol.

ive seen people acheive 1230 MPH through a 1/2 mile tunnel before. that was interesing (was also a strava segment!)

edit: http://app.strava.com/segments/1827781 - only 1069.9 MPH but it has a heart rate so is legit!!! :whistle:

byegad

Legendary Member
I can tell you 50mph on a recumbent trike feels very fast and remarkably stable. Riding a recumbent tadpole trike means you have two front brakes, one either side, so you can scrub speed very quickly when necessary. But sitting 8" off the ground gives a great impression of speed!:eek:

lejogger

Guru
That is rubbish, my neighbour recorded this on strava, now THAT is a proper average speed!

http://app.strava.com/rides/14497003
I'm going to Italy in October and New Zealand in November. Please don't put silly ideas in my head!

Davehateshills

This is taken from a scientific website which has miffed me off. I was certain that being 16 1/2 stone gave me an advantage down hill because I can assure you that it does sod all for you when your going up them! :sad:

OK, so the question has been: do heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones? Today, we all know that they don't, but it's understandable how Aristotle could've gotten this one wrong.

It wasn't until Galileo came along in the late 16th century that anyone really tested this out. Though he most likely did not, as legend holds, drop weights from the tower of Pisa, Galileo did perform experiments to back up his theory that gravity accelerated all objects at the same rate. In the 17th century, Isaac Newton took us a step further, describing gravity as the attraction between two objects: on Earth, the most important being the attraction between one very massive object (our planet) and everything on it.

A couple of hundred years later, Albert Einstein's work would take us in a whole new direction, viewing gravity as the curvature that objects cause in space-time. And it's not over. To this day, physicists are ironing out the kinks and trying to find a theory that works equally well for the macroscopic, microscopic and even subatomic. Good luck with that.

Typhon

This is taken from a scientific website which has miffed me off. I was certain that being 16 1/2 stone gave me an advantage down hill because I can assure you that it does sod all for you when your going up them! :sad:

OK, so the question has been: do heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones? Today, we all know that they don't, but it's understandable how Aristotle could've gotten this one wrong.

It wasn't until Galileo came along in the late 16th century that anyone really tested this out. Though he most likely did not, as legend holds, drop weights from the tower of Pisa, Galileo did perform experiments to back up his theory that gravity accelerated all objects at the same rate. In the 17th century, Isaac Newton took us a step further, describing gravity as the attraction between two objects: on Earth, the most important being the attraction between one very massive object (our planet) and everything on it.

A couple of hundred years later, Albert Einstein's work would take us in a whole new direction, viewing gravity as the curvature that objects cause in space-time. And it's not over. To this day, physicists are ironing out the kinks and trying to find a theory that works equally well for the macroscopic, microscopic and even subatomic. Good luck with that.

Heavier objects do not fall faster Per se, we can see that in a vacuum. However the effect of wind resistance means that heavier objects do fall faster in Earth's atmosphere. So don't worry, it is an advantage in the real world. ;)

I've noticed that as I lose weight from cycling (10 lbs so far) I am reaching a much lower speed at the bottom of hills. Before I could easily go 30+ mph but now I rarely go above 26mph. Although I can now maintain a good 22 mph+ on a gentle downhill gradient via pedalling. :biggrin:

DaveFY7

Über Member
55.6 mph is tops so far for me heading northwards off Buttertubs Pass in North Yorkshire on an Orange P7 adapted for touring and carrying camping gear. The old snippet valve was nearly called into action on approach to the stone wall on the left hand bend towards the bottom. A helmet would have been handy. ^_^

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Sevenoaks Weald in Kent.
That's a downhill with attitude, anywhere between 40 & 50 mph regularly.
(On one occasion 52mph, not for the faint hearted.)
If you're in the area give it a whirl, just make sure you scrub off your speed before the village.

Top Bottom