400k audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@Aravis I still intend to do another "big one" 300k plus sometime this year, but not an audax, just a ride from home. I can't be doing with all the problems of getting to/from events. I've got a nice route that I've devised, along the lines of my Godwin ride last year, nice and flat. It's a question of when. I did promise myself I'd do a 400 but I don't think that's going to happen.

I made the right decision chickening out of LWL tho. Too far, too hilly.

I wouldn't do a 2 day challenge, as that would mean blowing a whole weekend.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Dogtrousers
Too late for this year I think, but Saturday is the Oasts and Coasts 300km Audax
Starting from Meopham, it heads south over and down Toys Hill, over and down Ashdown forest to uckfield, Along to Battle, along the marshes, up and over Folkestone and Dover, following the near coast enough to Whitstable then back to Meopham via Cuxton.
In the scheme of things its not a hilly Audax and has a lot of flat.
Along with food at the start (6am) and finish, add in riding to and from your home, that would be a good 350+km ride.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
On the other hand, if there's an option to bail out, you're much more likely to bail out.
On longer rides I've quite often included an option to extend, by doing an fairly close pass to home at around three-quarter distance, and I've not found motivation to be a problem. It cuts both ways anyway; if the initial mountain doesn't seem so impossibly high, it's much easier to start.

Suppose there were a 400km calendar Audax organised as a figure-of-eight with the start/finish in the centre. That's perfectly feasible, isn't it? Anyone wanting to do a 400 but unsure about the full distance would surely find that an attractive option. But maybe the more experienced riders would think, rightly enough, that an important part of the essential challenge is diminished.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I like the Oasts and Coasts route, I often steal bits of it.

Here's my current thinking about another big ride tk2. I could cut off the loop down to Dungeness if I want to shorten it a bit.

I'm 0 from 2 on Audaxes this year, having also DNS'd the Shark due to a diary clash. I did ride the Shark route the week before and I wouldn't have made the cut off time anyway, it was so hilly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I like the Oasts and Coasts route, I often steal bits of it.

Here's my current thinking about another big ride tk2. I could cut off the loop down to Dungeness if I want to shorten it a bit.

I'm 0 from 2 on Audaxes this year, having also DNS'd the Shark due to a diary clash. I did ride the Shark route the week before and I wouldn't have made the cut off time anyway, it was so hilly.

You don't fancy the sea apron from Birchington to Whitstable. A little bumpy with the laid concrete but in great weather it's a really nice ride.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You don't fancy the sea apron from Birchington to Whitstable. A little bumpy with the laid concrete but in great weather it's a really nice ride.
Not sure, really. I have ridden it a couple of times and I do remember the bumps! But it's a possibility (btw I'd be riding it in the other direction - from Whitstable. Plan would be for breakfast at the Waterfront.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Suppose there were a 400km calendar Audax organised as a figure-of-eight with the start/finish in the centre. That's perfectly feasible, isn't it? Anyone wanting to do a 400 but unsure about the full distance would surely find that an attractive option. But maybe the more experienced riders would think, rightly enough, that an important part of the essential challenge is diminished.

Such rides already exist. I think there's even one with clover in its name, with a route much as you'd imagine. Hang on... Yep, this is it: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-19/ - that's only a 200, but there are longer rides that follow a similar format. The Fairies 300 in June is broken into 100km and 200km loops.

I don't think such routes diminish the challenge - you only get credit for any audax ride if you complete the full distance that you signed up for - ie you can't enter a 400 and then downgrade it to a 200 mid-ride; nor can you upgrade from a 200 to a 400 if it turns out on the day that you fancy some extra miles. If anything, they are more challenging because you have to find the motivation to go back out again once you return to HQ. You may not find that a problem, but many do - I know this because it's been a regular topic for discussion for at least as long as I've been doing audaxes (12 years).

I would also say there is no point doing an audax if it's not a challenge - biting off slightly more than you can comfortably chew is part of the deal, you just have to be careful not to bite off so much that you choke on it. And part of that challenge is ensuring it's not too easy to give up at any point. Pretty much every ride has its low points but in my experience, you can usually ride through the rough patches and recover - many is the time I've felt like giving up at 3/4 distance, but pushed through and finished the ride feeling on top of the world. If you think you might want to give up at some point and get a lift back to the finish, you might be better off finding a nice sportive with a broom wagon service.

I entered the Brimstone 600 a few years ago. My build-up hadn't gone to plan, so I wasn't in ideal shape, and it was appalling conditions on the day - torrential rain from the start, barely above freezing, very strong headwind along the south coast... and on top of that, it's an extremely hilly ride. By the time I reached the Priddy control (390km), I was on the verge of being outside the time limit, but I'd already been riding for 24 hours by then so I needed a break. After a couple of hours of fitful sleep, I was looking forward to the cooked breakfast the controllers were very kindly offering, but within minutes of finishing it, I was outside hurling it into the hedgerow. I pressed on, but was seriously suffering, walking up even the gentler climbs, and stopping regularly to throw up. Even so, I was in two minds about whether to abandon, partly because it's so bloody difficult to get back to Poole from northern Somerset. In many ways, carrying on riding was the easier option. Ultimately, though, I decided to divert towards the nearest station (about 20km off route, iirc) and make the tortuous train journey back to Poole. I still regret that decision to this day - I'll just never know whether or not I could have recovered and finished the ride (although less than a third of the field did make it back inside the time limit, iirc). Definitely intending to go back and give it another go one day though.

I'm doing the O&C 300 tomorrow and riding 65km to the start, which will mean setting off from home at about 2.30am. Yeah, it's going to be physically tough, but you know what? It's still only a bike ride. I know and believe that I can do it, and that's half the battle won already. The really difficult part comes at around 240km when the route passes within a few miles of home. If I'm feeling low at that point, I will find it hard to motivate myself to ride all the way back to Meopham.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
biting off slightly more than you can comfortably chew is part of the deal, you just have to be careful not to bite off so much that you choke on it. And part of that challenge is ensuring it's not too easy to give up at any point.
Excellent stuff.

I may come back and read this for motivation before I bottle out of my next Audax, whatever that is. I'll probably still bottle out, mind.

When I plan my own routes (which are long by my standards but not heroic audax stuff) I have to be careful to avoid comfortable bail out railway towns, but not avoid them by too much, just in case I really do need to bail.

Sometimes I can get mugged by the bail monkey very suddenly. I'll be riding along not feeling bad, but if I go right past a railway station I can find myself standing in the ticket hall drinking coffee and surveying a newly purchased ticket before I know what's hit me.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks for the post, @smutchin. I learned a great deal from that, in particular that I don't have any idea what pushing myself really is!

For various reasons, in recent months I've quite often done loopy rides that don't stray too far from home. They've been good, but I do sometimes feel I'm missing the essential flavour of a long ride (long by my standards, that is).

I hadn't spotted any figure-of-eight or clover leaf Audaxes on the calendar, but I'm not an avid watcher. It's good to know it wasn't a completely stupid notion.

Sometimes I can get mugged by the bail monkey very suddenly. I'll be riding along not feeling bad, but if I go right past a railway station I can find myself standing in the ticket hall drinking coffee and surveying a newly purchased ticket before I know what's hit me.
The thought of putting my bike on a train and maybe getting it scratched is invariably enough to keep me going.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Hate to say it but LWL isn't a hilly ride in the scheme of things.

I just checked the stats from when I did it in 2014. Yep, a long way short of the overall amount of climbing required to be classed as a "hilly" ride.

Which is not to say it doesn't have one or two hills along the way...

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

I'm well aware of the profile of LWL, it has a couple of lumpy sections, that I can well do without if going beyond 300k. So for me its too far, too hilly.

This is why I tend to prefer my own routes to sportives/audaxes etc, as I like to be in control of things (pace, climbing, no mystery controls, no cutoff time etc) and I'm not bothered about company or lack of it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I learned a great deal from that, in particular that I don't have any idea what pushing myself really is!

You won't learn much about really pushing yourself from me! I've just been reading about the Crackpot, a 1000km ride with over 13,000m climbing. It was last run as a calendar event in 2000 but has in the last few years been revived by a new wave of nutters riding it as a DIY by GPS, including some lunatics doing it on fixed gear.

It's great to read about, but I won't be signing up any time soon.

I do want to go back and have another go at the Brimstone 600 though - I've just re-read my ride report from my failed attempt and reminded myself of what a truly fantastic ride it is, despite the very high difficulty level.

This is why I tend to prefer my own routes to sportives/audaxes etc, as I like to be in control of things (pace, climbing, no mystery controls, no cutoff time etc) and I'm not bothered about company or lack of it.

Nothing wrong with that. It all comes down to what you want from your riding, which is all that really matters. I do audax events for the sociable aspects, and because riding someone else's route means I get to discover roads that I might not ride otherwise. Some people like to chase the points and awards but I've never been much interested in that side of it and really don't get why some people are so obsessive over it.

Last edited:

fatjel

Veteran
I'm planning to do the Man of Kent 400 audax perm this month sometime.
It comes through Staplehurst where I live so saves traveling to the start and driving home at the end.

Top Bottom