400k audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redlight

The 400km is the point at which managing your food and rest become critical to whether you finish the ride feeling good, like something the cat dragged in or not at all. Inevitably there will be some night riding - though the night for most - and even in summer having the right kit becomes an important factor when the temperature drops. In that sense, I think the step up from 300 to 400 is exponentially greater than that from 200 to 300. Once you've done a couple of 400s, I'd say it's a fairly easy step up to a 600, especially if you're fast enough to get several hours sleep en route. For a first 400, I'd opt for one of the larger events, preferably with at least one catered control rather than all commercials, and just make sure you get plenty of sleep in the few days before. I don't believe you can "bank" sleep but not starting in deficit will make a big difference at around 1am in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks @Redlight. I've actually decided that while finishing a 400 is not an outright impossibility there's no way I could enjoy it, so I've scratched it off my to-do list. I'll do another "maximum possible" sometime this year (probs a bit over 300, maybe 200 miles), but not an event, as they introduce too much stuff that I can't control.

I've no personal interest in doing multi-day things like 600s, so I'm not looking for a stepping stone to them. I think I've found my ceiling.

The first question you need to ask yourself is do you really want to be part of the organised event tribe? If you don't mind all of that type of thing, AUK have loads of options. If you don't want that sort of thing, get a device that is capable of tracking / recording your routes, and do some rides, using proper maps / available published GPX type routes, in your Locale. Then string a few together, to make up 400 Kms. I find it much more rewarding to go out and find / fettle my own routes, than the PAYG, type of organised rides. I might occasionally 'borrow' sections, that may be nicer / quieter options than ones I've found by myself, but I just feel like a lazy b*strd, turning up to an event organised by someone else. I don't like paying to ride on roads I can ride for free either ( unless it's for charidee ). Only you can truly be the judge of how to manage the Ride, in terms of nutrition and rest. Again, I find the best / most rewarding way of finding out what suits you best, is to try different options for yourself. You'll soon work out the best strategy for you.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks @Redlight. I've actually decided that while finishing a 400 is not an outright impossibility there's no way I could enjoy it, so I've scratched it off my to-do list. I'll do another "maximum possible" sometime this year (probs a bit over 300, maybe 200 miles), but not an event, as they introduce too much stuff that I can't control.

I've no personal interest in doing multi-day things like 600s, so I'm not looking for a stepping stone to them. I think I've found my ceiling.

I don't mind admitting that I found the London-Wales-London 400 extremely tough - much tougher than when I did it three years ago, when I was much fitter and stronger. (Last time I finished by 3am, this time I didn't get back until after 7am.)

I feel the only way to really enjoy a 400 or 600 is to be fast enough to get round it without needing a sleep stop, or at least fast enough that you have plenty of time in hand for a proper sleep. Or to be the kind of rider like @Redlight who makes up for lack of speed with indefatigable endurance!

I quite understand that those kind of rides aren't going to appeal to everyone. I'm sometimes not sure why they appeal to me...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't like paying to ride on roads I can ride for free either

On an audax, you're not paying to ride the roads, you're paying for a) the catering, and b) the admin (getting your ride validated).

I don't care much about the validation per se (not a points chaser) but I like doing other people's routes because they help me discover roads that I wouldn't know about otherwise, and for me that's the main attraction of audax. I've also got a big stack of brevet cards as mementoes of the rides I've done - the information they contain may be scant but it tells a lot of stories.

tatr

You are also paying to do it at the same time as lots of other people, all riding at different speeds, so you have groups to join and a bit of group motivation.

I've done solo 400k rides and they require a lot of self motivation not to bail and get on a train.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This Saturday I'm off on a 400k - the Llanfair audax - but will end up doing my 600 solo on the N/S LEL route. Hopefully at some point I won't fall out with me and flounce off.

Redlight

Or to be the kind of rider like @Redlight who makes up for lack of speed with indefatigable endurance!

I don't know about indefatigable endurance - it's more the knowledge that I've got to keep going because there isn't an alternative! Like you, I found L-W-L harder than in the past but I put that down to not eating well at the early controls. (And, of course, you still finished before me :-)). I am fortunate, though, in that in normal circumstances I can keep going for a full value 400 or 600 without needing to sleep. At a push I can go for 48 hours, as on the London-Edinburgh-London in 2009, but I'm conscious that my speed, such as it is, tails off once I get into the red zone. Getting the food right makes all the difference. On the last PBP, I sailed through to Brest in 34 hours without a sleep stop, took a few hours there and cat napped for 45-90 minutes at a time on the way back. But that was only because the food outbound was good. On the way back I found it harder to eat well (esp when they ran out at Carhaix) so my speed on the road came down.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This Saturday I'm off on a 400k - the Llanfair audax -
Well I think you are heading back across the Menai straights at 240km. I (we - 150 entries) will be on the Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (after the Brevet Cymru 10 days ago) and cross the bridge to the Menai Scout hut (just below the north end of the bridge) at 292km. But since we start at 6 and you start at 9 (and you have a headwind on the way out) who knows; our paths may cross (well they will cross but only synchronously by chance). I'm hoping to make Menai by sunset (2106) and with the nearly full moon up all night you should be 'lit' all the way back to Poynton. I'll be grabbing some early hours in a King's YH (Dolgellau) bunk hopefully before heading south back to Chepstow at sunrise.

Ajax Bay

Guru
20km shorter to Menai Bridge than in 2015 so more doable. Sunscreen?! Even over the heights of Pen-y-pas (info control, 267km) and down to Llanberis, the temperature should be civilised, but the sun will be right in your eyes in the 20 minutes before sunset (21:05). Here's hoping.

Last edited:

tatr

Packing and a bit of last minute bike setup going on.

New leg warmers and overshoes fit :okay:

Welsh mountain survival gear is undershirt, merino base layer, jersey, gilet, down gilet, waterproof jacket. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom