4K TV - worth upgrading or stick with HD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We've just got a 49" 4K Smart TV and while its fantastic to watch (it upscales HD), but there isn't a lot of genuine 4K content.
There are a few bits on the iPlayer but not a lot.
And if we want 4K content on Prime we'll need to splash out on a new 4K fire stick...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
[QUOTE 5107174, member: 259"]Our telly does 4k via the TV app for Prime and almost everything new by Netflix is 4k. Is this a UK limitation?[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I've not checked the Amazon Prime app - it's pre-installed on the TV but we already had the fire stick so just swapped it straight across from the old telly. I might have a look tomorrow now you've mentioned it.

Jason

If your current TV still works then why upgrade now. It just seems a total waste and endemic of the throw away society.
Upgrade when the TV is broken.

agree with this ↑↑↑ 100%
When current TV breaks,buy the best your budget will allow. Remember manufacturers of anything will say yesterdays car,bike,TV needs replacing or your life is incomplete.

keithmac

Guru
My 7 year old Samsung has 4 dead pixels, when it gets to 8 I'll change it..

For me Netflix and Xbox would be the only 4k content though so not rushing..

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't even get people with HD TV sets to actually watch the HD channels! One sister doesn't bother and neither does my other sister's husband. They get quite funny about me pointing out that they are watching in SD ... :wacko:
Happens in our house all the time. We remember to use HD for something like Blue Planet then a couple of days later will be watching national news. When it’s time for the local news we have to switch back to SD as only London is available on HD channels, then we forget to switch again to HD!!!

I must admit I get tempted every time I visit Curry’s or PC World but at home I remember how is it is to slip back to SD and not really notice the difference. It does seem the HD experience is hugely dependent on the broadcast content though I can’t pretend to have real knowledge on the subject.

Overall I find myself lusting over new tech on a regular basis. I know though I rarely use it. For example I love my Surface Pro but after 18 months still haven’t worked out how to use the stylus successfully.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
When it’s time for the local news we have to switch back to SD as only London is available on HD channels, then we forget to switch again to HD!!!

This happens all the time for us, I wonder when the local news will be HD, it really is annoying.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Im in the " its to sharp camp too" you see all the imperfections.and to me it seems to upset my eyes..headache sense..not like that awful 3d shyte tho,that's just horrid.

Hd via virgin seems ok on the led and lcd tv's my tv's are both 40" i cant be doing with a whole wall of bright flashing light

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've got an LG 55" OLED and love it. The sharper the better as far as I'm concerned as the old eyes aren't what they were!

Drago

Legendary Member
Im in the " its to sharp camp too" you see all the imperfections.and to me it seems to upset my eyes..headache sense..not like that awful 3d shyte tho,that's just horrid.

Hd via virgin seems ok on the led and lcd tv's my tv's are both 40" i cant be doing with a whole wall of bright flashing light
I've a 50" Toshiba 4k, and although there isn't much 4k content out there (and probably never will be now Japanese broadcasters are starting to use 8k) its too sharp for me. It doesn't cause me headaches or owt, it just looks utterly unnatural.

vickster

Legendary Member
When it’s time for the local news we have to switch back to SD as only London is available on HD channels, then we forget to switch again to HD!!!
Nope, London news is SD too, I have to switch from 115 to 101 on Sky

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've got an LG 55" OLED and love it. The sharper the better as far as I'm concerned as the old eyes aren't what they were!

You poor old thing you x
Some things like Moto GP at night grand prix etc are just amazing on these tv's.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've a 50" Toshiba 4k, and although there isn't much 4k content out there (and probably never will be now Japanese broadcasters are starting to use 8k) its too sharp for me. It doesn't cause me headaches or owt, it just looks utterly unnatural.
Real life is a lot 'sharper' than 4k/8k resolution! I think the problem is that equipment is adjusted for impact rather than a natural look. Just look at the default colour and contrast settings that TVs have, and how many people never bother to change them.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Real life is a lot 'sharper' than 4k/8k resolution! I think the problem is that equipment is adjusted for impact rather than a natural look. Just look at the default colour and contrast settings that TVs have, and how many people never bother to change them.
Agree. I did some research on audio/visual forums and found some suggested settings. Default is never great.

Top Bottom