4K TV - worth upgrading or stick with HD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
@ColinJ - It has three Hdmi "slots" and three USB slots. So I will obtain a Chromecast dongle.

I won the old tv in a raffle in 2001. The previous tv I had for about twenty-five years, so hdmi/usb ports are all new to me.

Lots of smart TV's com with a "cast" function built in - I can cast from my tablet to our new LG TV without the need for any other equipment, so it might be worth checking first?

Edit: beaten to it by @ColinJ ^_^

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, I will wait and see what the tv includes. It's no good me rushing into all this tecknowledgy. ^_^

Speicher

Vice Admiral
What make and model is it? (We could have a look at its specs and check out what goodies lie in store for you!)

It is a Panasonic EX 700B 4K with Freeview Playback. I went to the John Lewis website to read (and try to understand) their buyer's guide. I then went to a local shop to see what it sounds like ^_^ and ordered it from the local business. He was extremely helpful.

Edit: It is the 40 inch model.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is a Panasonic EX 700B 4K with Freeview Playback. I went to the John Lewis website to read (and try to understand their buyer' guide. I then went to a local shop to see what it sounds like ^_^ and ordered it from the local business.
I'll have a look at that shortly. I assume that it sounds okay then? (My Samsung TV sounded pretty bad. My hearing isn't brilliant so after a week or two of putting up with its tinny sound, I gave in and bought a soundbar and sub-woofer to sit under it; MUCH better!)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Lots of smart TV's com with a "cast" function built in - I can cast from my tablet to our new LG TV without the need for any other equipment, so it might be worth checking first?

Edit: beaten to it by @ColinJ ^_^
I was listening to a track on YouTube on my phone t'other day and then had to pause to take a call. When I went back to my phone there was one of those alert type thingies that I thought was saying 'do you want to carry on playing?' I didn't, as it happens, so I touched it with a view to it opening up then I could stop it. My tv suddenly came on, and I found the YouTube vid playing on my telly. First I knew of any such capability...:wacko:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was listening to a track on YouTube on my phone t'other day and then had to pause to take a call. When I went back to my phone there was one of those alert type thingies that I thought was saying 'do you want to carry on playing?' I didn't, as it happens, so I touched it with a view to it opening up then I could stop it. My tv suddenly came on, and I found the YouTube vid playing on my telly. First I knew of any such capability...:wacko:

Same here - I'd seen the function when I was setting the telly up, but forgot all about it until a week later when I was watching a GCN video on YouTube and it popped up asking if I wanted to watch on the TV....:ohmy:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Same here - I'd seen the function when I was setting the telly up, but forgot all about it until a week later when I was watching a GCN video on YouTube and it popped up asking if I wanted to watch on the TV....:ohmy:

Youtube was pretty much unusable it was so slow on virgin tivo box, old tv or blu-ray player. It's not just the load times, the thing that surprised me was the spool times on the older devices.

midlife

Guru
Yes, 4K and 1080, thank you for reminding me.

Eldest has an Audiocast and seems an amazing piece of kit. :smile:

Milzy

Guru
I’m still getting used to mine. If you use the smooth movement settings it’s like the people are actually there. It’s like coming from 2D to 3D.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I went for a 4K TV last year, with true 10bit HDR. With Sky Q, Netflix UHD and a PS4, I have enough content to put through it. It hasn’t disappointed.

Milzy

Guru
I went for a 4K TV last year, with true 10bit HDR. With Sky Q, Netflix UHD and a PS4, I have enough content to put through it. It hasn’t disappointed.
I have full iptv. Wall mounted, wires hidden behind plaster boards. No boxes etc. I may as well take down my sky dish and TV aerial.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I have full iptv. Wall mounted, wires hidden behind plaster boards. No boxes etc. I may as well take down my sky dish and TV aerial.

Just finishing my man cave... need to colour code the cable management yet. Recently ruined my ACL so Zwift setup will have to wait :sad:

Attachments

• 8C143404-6DEE-458B-BA25-4417409CD39F.jpeg
    8C143404-6DEE-458B-BA25-4417409CD39F.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom