4K TV - worth upgrading or stick with HD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 5126704, member: 259"]We connected the soundbar we got 'free' with the telly at the weekend for the first time. Flipping heck![/QUOTE]

Soundbars and external speakers do make you realise how crap internal speakers in modern TV's are.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
[QUOTE 5107150, member: 259"]We got a 4k Samsung telly in the sales. Blinking flip, it's totally frigging astonishing on 4k stuff and interestingly it upscales "normal' HD almost as well. Admittedly standard TV isn't as impressive, but still better than our old plasma telly. Costs 4 dollars a month more for Netflix though...[/QUOTE]
Is that one of their Ultra HD TV’s with a TVPlus tuner?

JtB

[QUOTE 5126852, member: 259"]Yes.[/QUOTE]
When Samsung advertise a TV as having a TV Plus tuner (which I believe is a Samsung App for internet channels) they don’t show it as also having a Freeview HD tuner. Just wondering if you also get the Freeview “HD” terrestrial channels via your normal antenna.

JtB

[QUOTE 5127141, member: 259"]Our model can also get Freeview HD and cable, as well as 'normal' terrestrial, but I must admit, we only used it for Satellite (via a box) and the streaming services. So the answer is yes. Ithink it would be the case for any of them.[/QUOTE]
If you don’t mind me asking, which model did you get?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 5129020, member: 259"]By the way, if you're ever considering a Samsung, they often have VAT payback or free soundbar offers on, so it's worth signing up for their email alerts. We got a 'free' soundbar, but it took a few weeks to actually get it delivered.
[/QUOTE]
I bought a Samsung HW-J355 soundbar for a bargain £99 from Amazon after a few weeks of putting up with the crappy sound from my Samsung TV. The soundbar isn't perfect, but it is a huge improvement on the internal speakers of any TV that I have ever listened to. I turn the bass up for music and down for speech (it is a little boomy on deep male voices). If I had paid more then I'm sure that I would have got a system with a bigger subwoofer which didn't suffer from that problem, but funds were limited.

Last edited:

JtB

[QUOTE 5129020, member: 259"]By the way, if you're ever considering a Samsung, they often have VAT payback or free soundbar offers on, so it's worth signing up for their email alerts. We got a 'free' soundbar, but it took a few weeks to actually get it delivered.

I don't have shares in them, honest, and I don't like their tablets![/QUOTE]
Sounds like you got a great bargain there. I ended up going for a more modest Samsung 49” LED UHD TV but decided to splash out on a Sonos soundbar and sub-woofer to go with it and compliment the existing Sonos speakers we have.

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've got a mid range Panasonic 50" UHD tv, for the price its very good. I watch no 4K content at all. I just bought it because I wanted a bigger tv and to future proof it. I'm not really blown away with 4K content, sure its a touch better but it doesn't blow me away at all. The thing I like about Panasonic is that thier customer service is very good. This television had a small area of the screen that on certain colours, usually light greys, beige etc, it would go a slightly lighter colour. It really irritated me, I phoned them up, sent the repair centre some pictures, and they came and replaced the screen, which is virtually the complete television, except a few boards etc. The repair man told me to avoid supermarket or cheaper brands, and they would just fob me off with such an issue. He also told me to avoid Sony Android tv's. Something worth thinking about if anybody fancies saving a bit of money. This tv is great for the money, but I still think my 42" 8 year old Panasonic plasma, that I bought for £900, edges it for colour reproduction, and blacks.

The good side to these companies trying to shove fairly pointless technology down our throats, and get our cash, (3D, smart, UHD) is that lots of people buy it, and as such used bargains can be found, with decent 1080p tv's. As long as you check for screen issues, dead pixels etc, colour issues, like I mentioned above, they're a bargain. I just bought a 40" Samsung 1080p tv really cheap off Facebook for my daughters room, its a fairly recent one with a really slim bezel, and very attractive, sure its not Smart, but I couldn't care less, as I never use any of the features on my Panasonic one, my daughter has a tiny PC hooked up to it, which is way better than a Smart tv ever will be.

So if you don't wan't the latest thing, and don't mind staying one, or two steps behind it, some bargains can be had, provided you check for any potential faults.

Last edited:
Top Bottom