4K TV - worth upgrading or stick with HD?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Anyone with a Samsung, default mode is "Dynamic", this is to sell the TV's in the shop showcasing the contrast.

When you get it home turn it onto "Movie" mode, much easier on the eyes!, you have to select that for each source (internal, HDMI 1 to 4).

sight-pin

Veteran
Agree. I did some research on audio/visual forums and found some suggested settings. Default is never great.
I found mine on avforums, shows how to set up everything in a video, although i haven't gotten around to yet, my excuse is they saying it's good out of the box;):whistle:

Edit: Have you tried the new settings yet as we have the 55" version, just wondering if makes much difference?

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
I've got an LG 55" OLED and love it. The sharper the better as far as I'm concerned as the old eyes aren't what they were!
Have you tried it in 3D or the 2D to 3D conversion yet? LG used to have some great pop out 3D apps but have scrapped them now:sad:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
[QUOTE 5107174, member: 259"]Our telly does 4k via the TV app for Prime and almost everything new by Netflix is 4k. Is this a UK limitation?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE 5107187, member: 259"]Worth a shot anyway![/QUOTE]

Cheers @User259 - checked and there is a load of 4K content on the Prime Video app.
Just watched the Grand Tour - Clarkson, May and Hammond in UHD is truly a sight to behold ^_^

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The very nice man who is delivering my new television on Tuesday will be here for about an hour (after setting it up) to demonstrate the options.

I would like to cancel my Sky subscripton and take out a Eurosport player annual subscription. What do I need to watch this on the tv? The tv also includes a "playback" freeview option. So although I loose programmes on Sky I gain by being able to watch playback on the tv instead of on the laptop screen, I think.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Cheers @User259 - checked and there is a load of 4K content on the Prime Video app.
Just watched the Grand Tour - Clarkson, May and Hammond in UHD is truly a sight to behold ^_^

Just got a 4K tv on Friday. Most of my friends who have 4K don't like using Prime, so there's a fair bit more on there than when I looked last year. None of the stuff I had except PC supported it. Trying to get through the Loch Ness episode.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The very nice man who is delivering my new television on Tuesday will be here for about an hour (after setting it up) to demonstrate the options.

I would like to cancel my Sky subscripton and take out a Eurosport player annual subscription. What do I need to watch this on the tv? The tv also includes a "playback" freeview option. So although I loose programmes on Sky I gain by being able to watch playback on the tv instead of on the laptop screen, I think.
I can send the Eurosport Player output from my laptop or phone to my TV over my wi-fi connection. I think you could probably do that with most smart TVs which I am sure yours will be. (If not, you can buy a cheap device such as a Chromecast dongle to plug into an HDMI input to receive the signal.)

Samsung TVs came with a Eurosport app but they suddenly stopped working last year and will no longer be supported. It's a pity because that was a really convenient option.

pawl

Legendary Member
Im in the " its to sharp camp too" you see all the imperfections.and to me it seems to upset my eyes..headache sense..not like that awful 3d shyte tho,that's just horrid.

Hd via virgin seems ok on the led and lcd tv's my tv's are both 40" i cant be doing with a whole wall of bright flashing light

Ah LSD has much to answer for.

midlife

Guru
@ColinJ - It has three Hdmi "slots" and three USB slots. So I will obtain a Chromecast dongle.

I won the old tv in a raffle in 2001. The previous tv I had for about twenty-five years, so hdmi/usb ports are all new to me.

I'm sure you know but the Chromecast comes in 2 flavours :smile:

Top Bottom