50 mile route from somewhere outside london

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

hi all.
I am looking to do 50 mile rides to practice.. any suggestions of places within an hours train journey from london...as a starting point ...?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cambridge

Sharky

Guru
Catching trains to the little stations like Farningham Rd, Longfield, Meopham, Sole Street , will take you into the Kent countryside and avoid navigating your way out of towns. Explore the Northdowns, Pilgrims Way or out into the Isle of Grain. The latter is mostly flat, but may be windy, but some of the roads are like the middle of nowhere (Cooling). Knatts Valley is amazing, like a lost world, but be warned, travelling Eastwards, you might hit some hills.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Catching trains to the little stations like Farningham Rd, Longfield, Meopham, Sole Street , will take you into the Kent countryside and avoid navigating your way out of towns. Explore the Northdowns, Pilgrims Way or out into the Isle of Grain. The latter is mostly flat, but may be windy, but some of the roads are like the middle of nowhere (Cooling). Knatts Valley is amazing, like a lost world, but be warned, travelling Eastwards, you might hit some hills.
Thanks...sounds like something i can try... do i head to the coast from these places ?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Train to Brighton and reverse the L2B route?

rugby bloke

Veteran
Surrey hills i have heard is steep... is int it in the london prudential ride as well ?
The Surrey hills are in the RideLondon. There are a couple of hard climbs, Leith Hill being one, although, with good reason, our friends from the more hilly parts of the country would beg to differ ! I find that the roads around the Surrey Hills pretty busy with cars though so it's not always the most relaxed riding.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

The Surrey hills are in the RideLondon. There are a couple of hard climbs, Leith Hill being one, although, with good reason, our friends from the more hilly parts of the country would beg to differ ! I find that the roads around the Surrey Hills pretty busy with cars though so it's not always the most relaxed riding.
Yes i need a traffic free /less road ... a bit tired after doing 500 miles last month all thru london roads... its mentally tiring than anything else

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Wellingborough station is an hour away from St Pancras. From there you can head out into some lovely rolling Northamptonshire countryside. Alternatively get of at Bedford station and start your ride from there. I can provide ideas for rides from both stations if this suits.
That sounds more like what i need .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Depends which station you're starting from. Really the world's your oyster. Just get a map and find somewhere that looks nice.

My random pick, which is as good as any other, would be Crawley (or perhaps nearby Oxted). Lots of flat roads and within reach (eg over to Lingfield) or some hills if you want like Toys Hill on the Greensand ridge, or the Ashdown Forest or the Surrey Hills.

I'd also second @Sharky 's suggestions eg the Knatts's Valley.

Top Bottom