52 cafes in 52 weeks - challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
@Cathryn suggested this; it's a brilliant idea and I think I'm going for it.

As I interpret this, my challenge is to visit a different cafe during each week of 2022 by bike, and to post a photo of my bike outside. By the end of the year I should have visited 52 different cafes.

This appeals to me for obvious, and less obvious reasons.

The obvious ones are food and drink, obviously.

I will have to get out to places I know less well, will have to do some planning bearing in mind the seasons and expected weather. It will get me out of my current rut.

Edit: the concensus is that only one of each chain (eg Greggs) is allowed in the year.

Does this appeal to you?

Mod Edit, as requested:
Here is @Sea of vapours editable version of @Cathryn's map, to add your cafes
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=13UAd2dgMj9v5kqDWgLzfUjRurn0NYEgR&usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2023 - next year ????

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Does it have to be an actual cafe, with seats and stuff, or could it just be a place you can get a hot drink, like a van or a Greggs?
Up to you, I guess.

It's not a competition, just a bit of fun.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'll give it a go but think it's a very big task. Not the miles but finding the cafes which should largely be independents.

I don't feel multiple outlets such as Gregg's or Macdonald's should count more than once. It's far too easy to drop in to numerous branches of Macdonald's etc.

I'll give it a go but think it's a very big task. Not the miles but finding the cafes which should largely be independents.

I don't feel multiple outlets such as Gregg's or Macdonald's should count more than once. It's far too easy to drop in to numerous branches of Macdonald's etc.
Yes that's what I was thinking - actual independent cafes are fairly thin on the ground in places I'm likely to be cycling. Butty vans and the like would be acceptable, though, surely - they're much nearer to an independent cafe than are Greggs and burger places.
There's a new co-op near me, literally a few yards from the Guild Wheel; they do a good takeaway coffee and put one of those advertising board things out on the Guild Wheel; I feel they deserve custom for simply being enterprising enough to think of that - there's nowhere else nearby - so I'd class that as fully acceptable. There's good bike parking too - proper Sheffield stands right outside the main entrance, not tucked away out of sight round the back.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

Sorry to disagree @PaulSB . Any Cyclist who can visit 52 different MacDonalds in a year deserves too win the challenge.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Having not much to do I googled local Macdonald's. We have 108 within easy striking distance of home. Two are 30 miles away, 23 are less than 10 miles. I reckon I could do all 108 in a month.

😂
:eek: You plan to visit 3 or 4 MacDonald’s every day for the rest of January :hungry: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
No make it a real challenge , do them all in February :laugh:.

Top Bottom