6.5 hours into a sixteen hour stint...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Polling Station Gestapo :whistle:

Well paid, I gather?
Only if you don't pay tax...
Im surprised it’s a single shift. Does everyone do 16 hours or do some people just do the morning/ evening shift.
Single shift, you have to waive your Working Time Directive rights.
D'you get two votes? Like, perk of the job sort of thing.
I wish!
:smile:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Mrs L is usually a poll clerk all day, and then dashes to the overnight count as well. It's a hugely long day, especially when recounts are demanded.
This time she's only doing the overnight count; approx 10pm to 4am.

You get pay (and travel expenses) plus some brief breaks, but the only perks are the satisfaction of implementing the democratic process, and the joy (or misery) of knowing which way the count is going.

steverob

Guru
As an ex-council employee, while I didn't actually take up any of the numerous opportunities to be a polling clerk, I heard some of the stories, good and bad, from those who did. It depended a lot on where you got assigned.

Some got fairly urban wards (for our district anyway, which is probably 80% rural) where were a lot of people registered, plus there was always a high turnout and so the constant stream of people meant that while it was still a long day, you were busy enough for it not to feel like 16 hours (maybe only 12!)

Others got villages in the back of beyond where the electoral roll was less than 200 people. If you were doing the Euro elections, or worse, the Police Commissioner elections, you'd maybe see 10% of those people at best and most of those were done with in the first 2 hours of your shift. The rest of it was deathly dull.

Top Bottom