650b wheels and mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daisyj

Über Member
I have a Cannondale Synapse 2016, which I love and plan to swap out the 700 wheels for 650b in the New Year. Being 5ft 2", I feel this will be a better fit for me.

I would like to be able to fit mudguards but am struggling to find any to fit this set up. My bike won't accept full guards. I would also like for them not to be too hideous. I know this is subjective but I don't like the look of Cruds.

Does anyone know of any options?

vickster

Legendary Member
A friend of mine uses raceblades on her synapse (albeit a 51cm frane with 700c wheels)

Someone managed it here

http://gateauvelo.blogspot.com/2013/03/sks-race-blade-long-and-650c-wheels.html?m=1

Talk to your LBS about fitting unless you’re technically competent and confident!

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
A friend of mine uses raceblades on her synapse (albeit a 51cm frane with 700c wheels)
Thanks, vickster. I have raceblades on my current set up and assumed, perhaps wrongly, they won't fit 650b wheels. I'll see if this is possible, as then it's issue solved.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, vickster. I have raceblades on my current set up and assumed, perhaps wrongly, they won't fit 650b wheels. I'll see if this is possible, as then it's issue solved.
That blog suggests you need to cut stays etc. Have a read

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If your cannondale has rim brakes then 650b wheels won’t work.
I’m not sure how 650b wheels would make the bike a better fit, the frame size is still the same?

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
If your cannondale has rim brakes then 650b wheels won’t work.
I’m not sure how 650b wheels would make the bike a better fit, the frame size is still the same?
Toe overlap is partly the reason, which I experience at low speeds. The bike does have rim brakes and I know this would involve new calipers. It has now occurred to me that the bottom bracket height may also be affected so i need to give this more thought. Looking more complicated than I anticipated.

vickster

Legendary Member
Toe overlap is partly the reason, which I experience at low speeds. The bike does have rim brakes and I know this would involve new calipers. It has now occurred to me that the bottom bracket height may also be affected so i need to give this more thought. Looking more complicated than I anticipated.
Is toe overlap that much of an issue. I found removing the rubbery bit on my guards partly resolved the issue. I just try to avoid slow speed turns as much as possible

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
Is toe overlap that much of an issue. I found removing the rubbery bit on my guards partly resolved the issue. I just try to avoid slow speed turns as much as possible
It's not a huge issue but it's there and I try to adjust my riding to accommodate it sounds you describe.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

You've got rim brakes, so you are very unlikely to find brakes that will fit. Even long drop shimano callipers won't reach. Toe overlap isn't an issue - I have quite alot of overlap on my Ribble, and as you say, it's only at slow speed it's noticeable. I had overlap even before fitting guards.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
New long drop calipers eg Shimano R650 unfortunately will not reach the rim, I don’t know of a rim brake on the market that would?
I have toe overlap on some of my bikes but never give it a second thought. Any low speed sharp cornering ie. making a u turn in a narrow road then I would always have my cranks near vertical (a more natural position for me when making a manoeuvre like this anyway), it’s only when they are near horizontal that they catch.

Top Bottom