700c road bike wheel - recommendations, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
As above.

I need to get a new rear wheel for the Allez. All I'm after is a half-decent wheel (do they come with freehub as standard?) that will do the job.

Any recommendations? Is there anything for 50-60 quid or am I in dreamland?

I think the Shimano R500 are about that price for the pair, iirc the two times I have got rear wheels they've had freehubs.

gbb

Legendary Member
+ 1 for the 500's, excellent wheels for the money.
Mine have done 3 years winter commuting and still running smooth and true, never laid a spanner or spoke wrench on them.

PpPete

Legendary Member
While ago now, but picked up an Omega mach 1 rim on Tiagra hub for about £60 at LBS, to replace fubar OEM wheel on a mate's Secteur.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
While ago now, but picked up an Omega mach 1 rim on Tiagra hub for about £60 at LBS, to replace fubar OEM wheel on a mate's Secteur.

I also have Omega Mach 1 wheels on a shimano hub and they have been really bomb proof wheels.Broke several spokes on the Alex wheels my bike came with then got these and there great.

Probably too heavy for racing but with 32 stainless steel spokes and a strong rim they wont let you down.

stripped and regreased the bearings after about 4000 or so summer and winter miles and they were still like new, changed the ball bearings as a precaution anyway.

Often see them on ebay.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks.

Is it normal for the LBS to fit the wheel for you at no extra charge?

Otherwise, I would struggle to take the new wheel home on the bike...

gbb

Legendary Member
Thanks.

Is it normal for the LBS to fit the wheel for you at no extra charge?

Otherwise, I would struggle to take the new wheel home on the bike...
Hmmm, if you take into account the time to take off your tyres, tubes, cassette and refit them to a new wheel and onto your bike...its no big deal but maybe 1/2 hours work, i suspect unless you have a really good relationship with them...they'd probably want to charge.

billy1561

BB wrecker
LBS fitted my cassette, tyre and tube free as I bought the wheel from them.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Seriously? 7298 posts and you are asking? It's either 1 or 2 .......

clinch·er/ˈklinCHər/
Noun:
  • A fact, argument, or event that settles a matter conclusively.
  • A bicycle or automobile tire that has flange beads that fit into the wheel rim.

Outside the road racing world, people just call them "tyres". It took me years of cycling forum use before I came across the idea that there might be strange tyres which you glue on.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Outside the road racing world, people just call them "tyres". It took me years of cycling forum use before I came across the idea that there might be strange tyres which you glue on.

- and now there are 'tubeless' tyres too - which are another form of clincher of course.

Top Bottom