748 WBH Mercedes - Resolves me to add a rear-view cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think you are making allot out of something that you have brought on yourself.

This statement can be applied to you as well.

gert_lush

This statement can be applied to you as well.

Agreed ;-)

But it is worth pointing out, that we as cyclists are not always right or in the right to call other road users "idiots" - I think you have to be self critical to move on and evolve.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
How was I "in the way"?

I assume the red Fabia should have also pulled over for the Merc then..as prior to bringing the altercation down to a safe speed I was keeping pace with it - bearing in mind I was turning right within 50-75 yards!

Again, I see no sense in your suggestion that I position myself to the left of traffic approaching a right turn.

I went that way yesterday but stayed straight on - it was rush hour and cars were crawling along in front of me so I shouted abuse and tailgated them but they didn't get out of my way like they should have done for faster traffic.*

(*No, I didn't. But Perhaps I would have been justified in doing so since the cars were "getting in the way")

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
@downfader, wow - you really are very abrasive and from the posts of yours that I have read, quite humourless - I think you take yourself far too seriously, I suspect you are an all the gear no idea type dude.

Crikey, eight posts in and you've already insulted two regular contributors to the commuting forum...

gert_lush

Crikey, eight posts in and you've already insulted two regular contributors to the commuting forum...

Thats not an insult!!! But it is not complimentary. First impressions do last and my first impression was not great and badly worded, but Downfaders was equally as bad to a forum noob - 2 wrongs don't make a right.

At least I am prepared to say sorry as I did previously - we will see if the same is forthcoming......TBA

gert_lush

How was I "in the way"?

I assume the red Fabia should have also pulled over for the Merc then..as prior to bringing the altercation down to a safe speed I was keeping pace with it - bearing in mind I was turning right within 50-75 yards!

Again, I see no sense in your suggestion that I position myself to the left of traffic approaching a right turn.

I went that way yesterday but stayed straight on - it was rush hour and cars were crawling along in front of me so I shouted abuse and tailgated them but they didn't get out of my way like they should have done for faster traffic.*

(*No, I didn't. But Perhaps I would have been justified in doing so since the cars were "getting in the way")

You would not have been beeped at if you were not in the way and long gone - just sayin' There is no reason why you cannot overtake the car ahead.

I think your being a bit silly with the last comment. As a cyclist, you are always going to get sh1t from drivers - accept it, but you can do allot to mitigate that sh1t :-)

Like I said, enjoy and stay safe.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Thats not an insult!!! But it is not complimentary. First impressions do last and my first impression was not great and badly worded, but Downfaders was equally as bad to a forum noob - 2 wrongs don't make a right.

At least I am prepared to say sorry as I did previously - we will see if the same is forthcoming......TBA

All the gear, no idea? I'd consider that an insult.

Downfader's first reply to you related to the content of your post - it was not a comment on you personally. There is a difference.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Like I said, enjoy and stay safe.

Yes and yes. The most important things. :biggrin:

gert_lush

All the gear, no idea? I'd consider that an insult.

Downfader's first reply to you related to the content of your post - it was not a comment on you personally. There is a difference.

Yeah - thats fair. Still think he is a bit of a know it all - come across that way at least.

Agree, I should not get personal, apologise for condescending remark - it is tit for tat and childish on my behalf.

Still, I think my general outline that "op bought it on himself" is fair - not seen anyone provide anything to suggest what I have said is incorrect or unsafe.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Gert, I was in no way having a pop at you... but your post was so wrong and inflamatory in that it completely ignored what ST had said. I trust ST's opinion on said road and from the video his position and riding was very much in line with the government approved cycle training schemes. I would ask that you get yourself on one of these asap.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5116
http://www.iam.org.uk/iamcyclingtraining.html

If you come here and post that someone was wrong and give "advice" that I or others think may influence others into a less than safe riding style I and others will point this out.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Can I ask how you make your right turn in 50-75 yards?

Given that you would, as stated, choose not to merge with traffic travelling at roughly the equal speed in the natural place where the lanes merge.

In my opinion (and this bit I will leave open as people feel comfortable handling different situations different ways) I would not feel safe making an additional lane of traffic between a taxi (which can change it's mind as to its intended direction on the strength of a radio message) and a panel van with restricted visibility, on entering a roundabout.

You will notice that there is a line of traffic behind the silver Mercedes, which has merged in the correct place.

Putting yourself on the left of that traffic and inviting it to overtake means the right turn you intend will then bring you into conflict with the traffic which is now travelling in convoy on your right.

As for the last comment of my previous post, that is illustrating if I behaved like the Merc driver. Yes, it would be silly to behave like that. Why does being in a box make that not silly and instead makes it justifiable?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Positioning seems fair enough to me given the OP had a right turn to make, however if that had been me I would have given it a bit more speed from the roundabout to get closer to the Fabia.

perplexed

Guru
I know that area very well and cycle round it very regularly.

Sheffield Tiger's approach is entirely correct. I cannot fathom out G_L's argument, it makes no sense at all I'm afraid...

Top Bottom