748 WBH Mercedes - Resolves me to add a rear-view cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been half-thinking about it but now my mind is made up - I am going to replace my ATC2K and use that as a rear-facing camera.

What you can't see on the video of these two middle-class middle-aged thugs is that prior to me pulling the cam off its handlebar mount to aim it back at them car accelerates then slams on the brakes in a pretence of ramming me - and I was braced for the impact, they came that close

At least the camera had the desired effect of reducing their aggression to pointing at the gutter

Essentially they didn't seem to think I should be on the roundabout and that I should have used the non-existent cycle underpass (the cycle path leads to "dismount" signs but that's neither here nor there really) and that dispite my clear signal of intention to turn right, that i should be scraping in the gutter-lane that is painted on a too-narrow road.

The real hissy ft started when I moved left to block an undertake for my own safety - you can see that there is NO room to undertake especially not when having a tantrum and trying to floor it

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5-YBFzVDNI[/media]

BSRU

A Human Being
I've had two cars drive at me from behind and I was very thankful it was all caught by my rear camera, otherwise just viewing my helmet camera footage it is hard to see any real incident.
Also with lots of close passes by the time the helmet camera catches it there is nothing to see.
The video quality of the rear camera does not have to be as good a the forward facing camera as vehicles tend to closer.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I like having the GoPro just behind my head on the recumbent. If I fiddle with it when a driver is being pushy behind me, they usually back off quick.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I must admit I like having the GoPro just behind my head on the recumbent. If I fiddle with it when a driver is being pushy behind me, they usually back off quick.

The gopro looks like a camera. Sometimes people behave a little better for that reason. I used to have the old nikon compact mounted on the stem and it was pretty obvious.

Most bullet cams just look like lights that are switched off. Less distracting for others perhaps, rather that having them do that double-check thing I used to see with the nikon.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My rear contourhd is rather hidden.

I think the rear view is important, it paints a massive picture to the lead up and shows just how dangerous some drivers are.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I think the rear view is important, it paints a massive picture to the lead up and shows just how dangerous some drivers are.

That's what I'm thinking. This guy was actually starting to hassle me on the roundabout, switching lanes and generally being an arse. None of that is evident in the video posted.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Having moved up to a two camera set up I can certainly agree.
Next step: High viz rucksack cover with CCTV in operation printed on it.
rolleyes.gif

gert_lush

I have no idea what your complaint is?

You rode in the middle to right side of the road/lane on a round-a-bout and went straight on - why?

You could have just stayed in the left side all the way.

You rode in the middle of the 2 into 1 filter - why?

You could have stayed left and allowed faster traffic to pass.

Why not just stay left and let people get past - from the look of the road, there would have been loads of space.

Or you could try cycling faster.

The video shows nothing that you have accused the Merc of doing - so why post this with the reg number?

Sorry to wee on your chips, but I am just trying to establish what your complaint is and where your evidence is.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

You rode in the middle to right side of the road/lane on a round-a-bout and went straight on - why?

Why not just stay left and let people get past - from the look of the road, there would have been loads of space.

The video shows nothing that you have accused the Merc of doing - so why post this with the reg number?

Sorry to wee on your chips, but I am just trying to establish what your complaint is and where your evidence is.

Just because you dont see it doesnt mean it didnt happen.

The majority of your post is garbage.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger

(snip - points addressed individually below)

The opinion of someone who considers that riding on the left of traffic in order to make a right turn is either correct or safe, is not one I hold in any regard at all, sorry.

But since the obvious needs pointing out to you

I used the lane marked "left and straight ahead" to navigate the roundabout. Would you like to explain what you consider to be erroneous about that?

That would have made no difference to the progess of law abiding drivers who would not overtake within a lane on a roundabout. So there was no need to and using the lane correctly isn't a problem

You answer your own question - the lanes merge.

So you actually believe that right turning traffic should position itself to the left of traffic going straight ahead? An interesting, if a little dangerous, approach to road positioning.

Or you could try watching the clip. Cycling faster -prior to having to slow down for safety and to bring a conflict down to a low-speed, safely managable one - would have seen me rear-ending the red Fabia, since I was roughly matching its speed just prior to the first horn blast.

The video shows nothing that you have accused the Merc of doing
That's about the only part of your post that makes any sense, but again, if you had been paying attention, you would have noted that part of my post suggested that I might be better off with a rear-facing camera in addition to a forward facing one

Now, any more silly questions? No? Good.

endoman

That's on my commute , I go under the roundabout every time, takes a bit longer but it's bad enough in a car, never mind on a bike

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
That's on my commute , I go under the roundabout every time, takes a bit longer but it's bad enough in a car, never mind on a bike

Not going to criticise for that...though I would point out for the benefit of those not familiar with the rab that the cycle path terminates with a cyclists dismount sign before the underpass. No good reason for it not being shared like the next rab underpass but technically there is no alternative other than dismounting

endoman

Not going to criticise for that...though I would point out for the benefit of those not familiar with the rab that the cycle path terminates with a cyclists dismount sign before the underpass. No good reason for it not being shared like the next rab underpass but technically there is no alternative other than dismounting

Might give it a try round the rab next week, can't be any worse than the ones at the Chesterfield end I have to do. There's usually bikes coming from all angles around there, probably safest on the road!

manalog

Über Member
My rear contourhd is rather hidden.

I bit off topic, how is your's mounted I have a spare Contour HD sitting in the drawer for almost a year and would like it mounted under the saddle, you couldn't PM me with some pics could you? I hope you are recovering well.

rowan 46

Über Member
Can I say without meaning to offend. I understand the irritation in your reply to Gert lush but the guy is new on here and may be new to cycling. Your answers were spot on but did it need the sarcasm as well? It may be that he truly was trying to understand. On your point about the rear view camera. I don't use cameras myself but having seen vids If I go that route I will use 2 as they definitely give a more complete story

Top Bottom