755,000 unlicensed vehicles last year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Put it on fuel, nobody can dodge it then

Would that not punish rural dwellers? I am not disagreeing though even though my fuel bill is in the region of £110 a week, if everybody paid it then I may even be better off.

Is that 755,000 any more than it was with the previous system.

D

Deleted member 26715

Would that not punish rural dwellers? I am not disagreeing though even though my fuel bill is in the region of £110 a week, if everybody paid it then I may even be better off.
Possibly, that was the answer that DOT (I think it was) gave, but every time I go into the deepest rural places fuel is already more expensive than in town, it would also be more proportional in my mind, so the people in their Chelsea tractors doing 10mpg around town would probably pay far more than the old biddy in her Micra doing 50mpg out in the country. It would also mean the sales reps in their diesel BMW/Audi's doing 60K a year would pay a lot more than the £30 they are currently paying.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
You're not the only one who was prompted to go and check. Which reminds me ... it's coming up to MOT time again.
Last year I had one of those panic moments when I was driving along and suddenly thought - TAX! It was the 12th of the next month and I was still able to use the renewal. Not to be recommended but on that occasion there were no adverse consequences.

Call me a cynic, but I'd happily believe that the real reason for scrapping the tax disc was to make it more likely people will either forget or think they can get away with it, so that the government ends up making more money from the resultant penalties.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Put it on fuel, nobody can dodge it then

How will your system cope with the growing switch over to electric vehicles? There are over 104,000 electric vehicles registered in the UK, of which 4,500 are commercial vans. Now I grant you that's currently a drop in the ocean but it will inevitably become the norm so where will you put the duty then?

Drago

Legendary Member
I wrote to my MP a few years ago with the idea, he forwarded it to the ministry who replied saying that it was unworkable due to people living in rural areas would be unfairly penalised.

As would the urban dwellers too lazy to walk their kids to school, or to walk 350 metres to the shop.

Drago

Legendary Member
They'll eventually tax leccy vehicles based on a formula around size and weight. The more damage you do to the road, and the more real estate you take up, the more you will pay.

But that event horizon may not happen, or at best is a long way off. At this time there is no prospect of the UKs generation capacity being expanded to the point where it can support cars and vans in like-for-like numbers with today's volume, and there aren't enough rare earth metals to make the motors and batteries to replace every private ICE car with a leccy.

The British public look hopefully forward to a future they they can continue their lazy ways with electric power, but numerically it wont happen. Thirty or 40 years time the bulk of them will be on the bus or cycling if they don't want to walk. This vision of a future where leccy cars replace ICE ones 1 for 1 and everyone carries on as before is a fantasy.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The stupid thing is ,with the way it operated before you had to have proof of insurance and a current MOT in order to get your road tax.

That hasn't changed.

D

Deleted member 26715

How will your system cope with the growing switch over to electric vehicles? There are over 104,000 electric vehicles registered in the UK, of which 4,500 are commercial vans. Now I grant you that's currently a drop in the ocean but it will inevitably become the norm so where will you put the duty then?
No idea, how are they going to recoup the massive drop in VED once electric becomes more the norm, although unless there is a breakthrough with battery technology that is going to be a long long time in the future? Maybe they will colour the electricity & you can only run your vehicle on gold electricity & anyone found running their car on red electricity will be fined.

Drago

Legendary Member
It does check for an MOT. If the vehicle doesn't have one it offers you the opportunity to manually enter a test certificate number. It then checks for insurance too - the MIB database it checks against isn't the best, so if you're legitimately trying to pay car tax and it falls flat its most likely to do so at this point.

D

Deleted member 26715

It does check for an MOT. If the vehicle doesn't have one it offers you the opportunity to manually enter a test certificate number. It then checks for insurance too - the MIB database it checks against isn't the best, so if you're legitimately trying to pay car tax and it falls flat its most likely to do so at this point.
Not my experience only a couple of weeks ago, car purchased, no insurance, it allowed us to obtain VED on it & insurance was arranged after as we weren't going to drive it home without VED.

Top Bottom