755,000 unlicensed vehicles last year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Would that not punish rural dwellers? I am not disagreeing though even though my fuel bill is in the region of £110 a week, if everybody paid it then I may even be better off.

Is that 755,000 any more than it was with the previous system.
Yes, according to the article, or at least more than it was immediately before. I suspect it might have got higher briefly before the police had automatic number plate checkers but I've not checked the historical estimates.

I doubt it would necessarily punish rural dwellers disproportionately - for example, the petrol station in the next village to me is as cheap as any in the borough - but there might be some specific cases which would need some intervention to prevent hardship until the system adjusts. I suspect it's the low-mpg suburbia drivers who would pay most, but they're arguably the ones who should, as they've often more access than villagers to local services and mass transport but choose to drive to schools in other districts, to shops on the edge of town and so on.

D

Deleted member 26715

I invite you to visit rural Scotland where prices can be 10-20p per litre higher than in the cities.
Does that not negate their logic already, the fact that prices are already high, they could setup areas which suppliers could ask for relief from duty, I know you would then probably get some fuel tourism, but as long as it was restricted to a tank at a time it would hardly be worth traveling 50 miles to fill up. I know I don't have the answers, but I'm not paid huge amount of money to come up with them, I just don't think the existing or the previous system works correctly. Then again, were there more traffic police or VOSA vehicles with ANPR with the legal right to seize un-VED'd vehicles then maybe more people would pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I invite you to read "there might be some specific cases which would need some intervention" before going off half-cock.

The price I referred to already includes the UK government's intervention of a rural fuel price cut of 5p/L launched two years ago.

albion

Guru
I'm not very good with stats but looks like the demise of the tax disc has led to a tripling of the number of unlicensed vehicles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42009111
A two year old could have predicted that.

Tax disc means tax disc. No problem not having one on show.

D

Deleted member 26715

And so it should, what with the damage to health its use brings.
Although that isn't relevant to this thread, do you really think that is the reason & that extra 10p is being used to clean up the environment & given directly to the NHS?

ORO

I don't need to pay VED on my vehicles that are over 40 years old. Next year won't even need a MOT.

D

Deleted member 26715

Nope, but every extra penny makes someone somewhere think twice about whether to make that diesel car journey or not.
If you believe that I'm sorry but you've gone dillusional since retirement

Top Bottom