80's Throwback road bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
I bought this frame and fork a while ago with the intention of building what would have been a dream bike for me in the late 80's. The frame has a 66cm (26 and a bit inches) seat tube and was a custom build for a bike shop customer who never picked it up. The frame is steel, the fork is alloy.
I found a donor bike with my dream components, a full Shimano 600 Ultegra (tricolour) groupset and Mavic Open 4 CD wheels.
I had the "Throwback" decals made up to suit the build, I'm happy with the result.
A respray is on the cards, but I'm not sure what colour yet.
20220203_125541.jpg

20220203_125518.jpg

20220203_125559.jpg

20220120_214601.jpg

20220120_214614.jpg

I'll be modifying a 28-12 Hyperglide cassette to replace the 21-13 Uniglide cassette on there, as comfortable as it is 21 is too tall for my local hills.
I'm really happy with the result, it turned out better than I hoped.

Attachments

• 20220203_125518.jpg
    20220203_125518.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 8

grldtnr

I bought this frame and fork a while ago with the intention of building what would have been a dream bike for me in the late 80's. The frame has a 66cm (26 and a bit inches) seat tube and was a custom build for a bike shop customer who never picked it up. The frame is steel, the fork is alloy.
I found a donor bike with my dream components, a full Shimano 600 Ultegra (tricolour) groupset and Mavic Open 4 CD wheels.
I had the "Throwback" decals made up to suit the build, I'm happy with the result.
View attachment 629394

View attachment 629396

View attachment 629397

View attachment 629398

View attachment 629399
I'll be modifying a 28-12 Hyperglide cassette to replace the 21-13 Uniglide cassette on there, as comfortable as it is 21 is too tall for my local hills.
I'm really happy with the result, it turned out better than I hoped.
Thays a veritable 'Gate: is that, I am a tall rider myself, it suit me.
Mind you my preffered ride is my recumbent trike.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
My other road bikes are 60 and 61 cm, this is the tallest (and most comfortable) frame I've had.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
As long as it fits you that's good
Looks nice what make is the frame ?
I'm not sure- I bought it from a gentleman who's family had bikeshops, he was gradually selling off all the old stock they had in storage. A customer had ordered the frame and never picked it up.
I'm sure it's nothing exotic but it rides nicely compared to my other steel frames which are made from Columbus.

si_c

Guru
That's a very large frame. I have a suspicion it would fit me reasonably well. My current ride is a 63cm frame with about 6" of seat tube showing.

A bike that big is a rare beast. Look after it well:okay:

Fredo76

Über Member
I ride a 26" frame that I built myself in 1976.

My dentist called ME a throwback after a look at my gnarly molars.

I have not previously had occasion to relate these two facts.

Please ride the hell out of that bike! :smile:

Fredo76

Über Member

P. S. - Regarding color choice, I picked green for my new powder-coating color. I told my brother I wanted the average of the green pixel values in this picture he sent me of the rainforest in Olympic National Park. I never did the calculations, but I think I nailed it! If you like it too, it's RAL 6037, 'Pure Green'.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Mate... It's an 80's Throwback. Has to be 80's colours:

1980s-Color-Palette.png

I did something similar.
Went from this...

To this...

Now has full 600 tricolour groupset inc. hubs except headset which is 105 because stack height is wrong. Only found out after I'd bought it.
Can't claim much period influence on the powdercoating - the guy was doing some skips that colour and mine just happened to go in with them!

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
View attachment 629463

P. S. - Regarding color choice, I picked green for my new powder-coating color. I told my brother I wanted the average of the green pixel values in this picture he sent me of the rainforest in Olympic National Park. I never did the calculations, but I think I nailed it! If you like it too, it's RAL 6037, 'Pure Green'.
Absolutely love that colour!

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
I did something similar.
Went from this...
View attachment 629476
To this...
View attachment 629477
Now has full 600 tricolour groupset inc. hubs except headset which is 105 because stack height is wrong. Only found out after I'd bought it.
Can't claim much period influence on the powdercoating - the guy was doing some skips that colour and mine just happened to go in with them!
I'm liking that one too, pretty timeless

Top Bottom