9 speed cassette, 8 speed shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What @JhnBssll said.

What I do is set up the high and low stops first then put it into 4th or 5th (on an 8 speed) and adjust so that the top derailleur pulley is lined up with the appropriate gear. Indexing should then be pretty much there and will likely just want fine tuning to finish. If you haven't got a stand then an assistant to hold the bike with back wheel off the ground will make this easier.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Would there be an easy way for me to check the shifter and make sure it's 8 speed? I've had a search but can't find anything easy to understand.
yes , just click it up and down and count how many indexed positions it has. Simples

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Would there be an easy way for me to check the shifter and make sure it's 8 speed? I've had a search but can't find anything easy to understand.
Put the chain on the small sprocket and shift up the cassette one at a time. An eight speed shifter will click seven times (The gear you were in plus the remaining seven).

The guy in the shop was talking out of his arse, it will be a cheap and easy upgrade to fit an eight speed cassette and chain.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Thanks for the posts people!

Luckily I do have a bike stand, so that should make this easier.

Will complete my order off Wiggle tonight once I've checked the rear cassette, in terms of the 'cassette removal socket / large socket' that I'll need, will I need to inspect the bike to see the type required, or is this a standard tool?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for the posts people!

Luckily I do have a bike stand, so that should make this easier.

Will complete my order off Wiggle tonight once I've checked the rear cassette, in terms of the 'cassette removal socket / large socket' that I'll need, will I need to inspect the bike to see the type required, or is this a standard tool?
Shimano and Campagnolo ones are different. I'm going to guess at the bike having Shimano kit on it but it would be a bit embarrassing to say that for certain then find out I'm wrong.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Shimano and Campagnolo ones are different. I'm going to guess at the bike having Shimano kit on it but it would be a bit embarrassing to say that for certain then find out I'm wrong.
Strangely enough, it has a Campagnolo rear detailer on it, I remember looking at the branding and shiny silver coating, thinking it was odd and something I'd not seen before. Who knows if that will match up with the lock rings though! I guess I'll have to remove them tonight and check

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Ah, so I was wrong. I presume that all the kit on it is Campag? If not, that's another possible reason for not being able to index the gears.

I think it is, I'll take some images tonight, I understand I'll need to set the chain in a different way for this type of system, the KMC chain will still be ok I take it?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think it is, I'll take some images tonight, I understand I'll need to set the chain in a different way for this type of system, the KMC chain will still be ok I take it?
If it's a Campag mech the shifters will be Campag too, and they certainly look like it on the photo. Campag will have a thumb lever on the inside of the shifters for changing to the smaller sprockets. You just need an eight speed Campag cassette.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

If it's a Campag mech the shifters will be Campag too, and they certainly look like it on the photo. Campag will have a thumb lever on the inside of the shifters for changing to the smaller sprockets. You just need an eight speed Campag cassette.

So the cassette needs to be Campagnolo branded? those ones look really expensive :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

The plot thickens, I've taken some pictures…

YKgPyTE.jpg

WiprWFG.jpg

cYRHsZC.jpg

Jmejc20.jpg

VMLuJnd.jpg

mYmg72V.jpg

From what I can see, the rear derailleur, front cranks, brakes and gear shifters are Campagnolo. The front derailleur is Shimano Sora (not sure if that's just the derailleur, or the bracket also). I noticed too, the 9 speed cassette is Shimano, so that means the wheel hubs will also need replacing if a new Campagnolo cassette is required.

I'm confused as to where I should go with this now, it seems such a jumble of parts.

JhnBssll

Veteran
:wacko:

Looks like someone has replaced the wheels at some point, although that still doesn't explain the front mech. Does a Shimano Sora even have the right pull ratio to work with campag shifters? I'm going to bow out and wait for someone with a bit more experience of road groupsets :laugh:

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

That might explain why the front shifting wasn't 100%. The wheels must of been changed at some point as I've seen other images of this bike model and they don't have the red hubs.

Hopefully someone knows how to remedy this.

Top Bottom