9 speed cassette, 8 speed shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Morning all,

I've taken a couple of pictures of the broken derailleur barrel adjuster. Will attempting to index/adjust the gears using the limit screws and adjusters up top (closer to the handle bars) be a pointless endeavour with the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur being ‘snapped’ like this?

2g8581Fr.jpg

ITzJmPgr.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Provided the barrel adjuster is firm and stable in the mech it won't be a problem. Any movement at all and it won't work properly.

BTW, if you only need to adjust the indexing and the chain isn't overshooting either end of the cassette don't touch the limit screws.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Thanks for replying cyberknight, I messaged that seller on ebay and he told me my image was 'the RD-RE012 adjuster that Campagnolo no longer produce. It is a smaller diameter that the newer RD-AT115 & RD-DA004.', but even when I googled RD-RE012, it still doesn't look like the one that's fitted at present, which I've broke.

I wonder if the RD-AT115 would actually fit.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for replying cyberknight, I messaged that seller on ebay and he told me my image was 'the RD-RE012 adjuster that Campagnolo no longer produce. It is a smaller diameter that the newer RD-AT115 & RD-DA004.', but even when I googled RD-RE012, it still doesn't look like the one that's fitted at present, which I've broke.

I wonder if the RD-AT115 would actually fit.
Mercian cycle or sjs cycles might be able to help but i have seen what looks right on mercian and it was £30, might just be easier to just get a compatible second hand replacement.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Mercian cycle or sjs cycles might be able to help but i have seen what looks right on mercian and it was £30, might just be easier to just get a compatible second hand replacement.

Thanks @cyberknight, I've arranged to pop into a bike shops that's not too far away that has the RD-AT115 in stock.

Just out of interest, does anyone know why there's both a barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur, as well as one further up the frame next to the bars? Do they both do the same thing?

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Evening everyone,

I’ve had some success indexing the front and rear derailleurs tonight, achieving farely smooth shifting.

I do however have the issue that since the cassette is 7 gears, and the shifter is 8, it shifts one more than the cassette, meaning it’s falling off the biggest cassette ring. Is this something i’ll just have to be concious of and always try remember not to do? The rear deraileurs limit screw doesn’t set tight enough to keep the final shift on the cassette, but i’m wondering if some gear cable tension/slackness could make that happen.

Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
You need to set this up so that the cable is in tension even on the smallest sprocket and that you have it indexed so that when you click once the RD cage lines up with the smallest sprocket, and when you click again it shifts to the next smallest. Then when you've clicked 7 times in total (8 speed shifter) you'll be in the largest sprocket (of the 7). Limit screws should be adjusted as normal.
Edited to add: In operation (when adjusted as I've described above), when you click down the cassette, on the 6th click you'll engage the small sprocket. On the seventh click the chain will stay on the smallest sprocket because the lower limit screw will keep it so aligned. Moving up the cassette, nothing will happen on the first click: a second one will take you into the second smallest sprocket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeJD

You need to set this up so that the cable is in tension even on the smallest sprocket and that you have it indexed so that when you click once the RD cage lines up with the smallest sprocket, and when you click again it shifts to the next smallest. Then when you've clicked 7 times in total (8 speed shifter) you'll be in the largest sprocket (of the 7). Limit screws should be adjusted as normal.
Edited to add: In operation (when adjusted as I've described above), when you click down the cassette, on the 6th click you'll engage the small sprocket. On the seventh click the chain will stay on the smallest sprocket because the lower limit screw will keep it so aligned. Moving up the cassette, nothing will happen on the first click: a second one will take you into the second smallest sprocket.

Thanks @Ajax Bay, I had a quick look this morning and can see the premise behind it, got it close, but had some catching/poor shifting on the larger rings, think I may have to make an adjustment in the length of the cable itself (rather than just using the barrel adjuster).

Ajax Bay

Guru
the bike store owner told me he'd had some troubles indexing the gears as the cassette (9 speed), didn't match the shifters (I think he said 8 speed), and it would cost more than the bike's worth to put right, but he'd done his best on it
The guy in the shop was talking out of his arse,
As it transpires, the guy in the shop was dead on the money. The cassette did not match the shifters, and it would 'cost' to 'put right'.
Plenty of good, reliable LBSs and those that work in them around.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

As it transpires, the guy in the shop was dead on the money. The cassette did not match the shifters, and it would 'cost' to 'put right'.
Plenty of good, reliable LBSs and those that work in them around.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, I just wish he would of explained the problem in more detail to me at the time. The work I've done so far doesn't seem like it would of been much of a job for someone experienced in these types of things, but they probably charge more than my £50 service fee for this type of work.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Spent another hour on so on this trying to figure it out and getting all the gear changes working, I got to a point when I was mostly happy (not perfect, but don’t think it’s going to be on a bike this old). However there’s one shift I can’t get right, coming down from the big ring at the back, while on the big ring at the front, the chain catches on the ring it should it be coming off and completely jams. Here’s an image of what happens…

rmDW9bvg.jpg

Will I just have to ensure I avoid ‘cross chaining’ like this (biggest to biggest)? I can’t seem to remedy it through changing cable tension using the barrel adjuster.

EDIT: Just been reading online and this could be down to the b-tension screw, I'll look into it further tonight!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
not perfect, but don’t think it’s going to be on a bike this old). However there’s one shift I can’t get right, coming down from the big ring at the back, while on the big ring at the front, the chain catches on the ring it should it be coming off and completely jams.
The parts (ergo and RD) are quality parts - their performance will not deteriorate with age.
As you say later, you should never be there. Once you get above the middle of the cassette on a hill, bite the bullet and change down at the front (if necessary double change by dropping to the next smallest sprocket at the same time). You haven't got loads of gears so need to make the most of them.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

The parts (ergo and RD) are quality parts - their performance will not deteriorate with age.
As you say later, you should never be there. Once you get above the middle of the cassette on a hill, bite the bullet and change down at the front (if necessary double change by dropping to the next smallest sprocket at the same time). You haven't got loads of gears so need to make the most of them.

Thanks Ajax.

I adjusted the b-screw last night, and still no luck, the chain goes up onto the big ring fine, but gets jammed when coming back off 9 out of 10 times. Will this be down to the cassette having 28 teeth on the biggest ring, or have I sized the chain incorrectly?

Maybe it’s just a good learning tool for me to never be up there while on the big ring at the front, I’ve been trying to take the approaching you mentioned, shifting down/up on both front and back at the same time.

Top Bottom