9 speed cassette, 8 speed shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MikeJD

I've got a Mirage band on front mech going spare. Sheldon Brown has a page on interloper of Shimano and Can pay.
Hi Tim, do you think I should be looking at replacing the front mech, if so do you have it on ebay or anything like that?

I've read Sheldon Brown article about v brakes before and was useful, I'm struggling to find any 'interloper' stuff, does that mean getting the Shimano Sora to work the with Campagnolo shifters?

Tim Hall

Hi Tim, do you think I should be looking at replacing the front mech, if so do you have it on ebay or anything like that?

I've read Sheldon Brown article about v brakes before and was useful, I'm struggling to find any 'interloper' stuff, does that mean getting the Shimano Sora to work the with Campagnolo shifters?
It's in my shed in a plastic bag. Yours for postage. What diameter down tube is your bike?
Sheldon says:
With 7-, 9- and 10-speed systems, the sprocket spacing between brands is close enough that it rarely causes any difficulty in practice.

For perfect matching, you might substitute different spacers, use alternate cable routing, or use a Jtek ShiftMate pulley adaptor.
More here

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im a bit late to the party ?
Am i wrong but you have a 9 speed mirage shifter with a shimano 9 speed cassette ?
This is why the shifting is not right at the back , campag and shimano have different cassette spacing , enough to make it not work properly .
AFAIK
front mechs are much of a muchness, change it for a campag but if it works i cant see a problem.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

It's in my shed in a plastic bag. Yours for postage. What diameter down tube is your bike?
Sheldon says:

More here

That’s very kind of you, how much do you think the postage would be, I can paypal or bank transfer it. Once I’m home I’ll measure the down tube.

I’ll read through thay, althought it’s had to completely understand with my limited knowledge.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Im a bit late to the party ?
Am i wrong but you have a 9 speed mirage shifter with a shimano 9 speed cassette ?
This is why the shifting is not right at the back , campag and shimano have different cassette spacing , enough to make it not work properly .
AFAIK
front mechs are much of a muchness, change it for a campag but if it works i cant see a problem.

It’s a 8 speed mirage shifter, with a 9 speed shimano cassette. It somewhat worked, but I offen that to click the shifter twice, and at times it would jam, requiring a shift in the opposite direction before it would work again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It’s a 8 speed mirage shifter, with a 9 speed shimano cassette. It somewhat worked, but I offen that to click the shifter twice, and at times it would jam, requiring a shift in the opposite direction before it would work again.
ok, assuming its a shimano cassette, get an 8 speed replacement cassette shimano and a j tek shift mate .
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek-shiftmate-1/

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The Shimano front mech will be no problem. I ran every Campag setup from 7 speed through to ten speed with the same Shimano 105 front mech and it shifted as sweet as a nut. It's the rear is the problem, solved as @cyberknight says with the appropriate jtech adaptor.

Reactions: gbb

boydj

Legendary Member
It used to be possible to get a cassette with a Shimano spline but Campag spacing - I used these in my commuting days. A bit of googling might be required here. The rear shifting will never work properly until you have a campag-spaced cassette to match the shifters.

As far as the front goes, it should be possible to get the Sora mech working as these old Mirage shifters could be made to work with a triple chainset as well, so it should be a case of fiddling with the position of the mech, the high and low adjustment screws and the cable tension.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As far as the front goes, it should be possible to get the Sora mech working as these old Mirage shifters could be made to work with a triple chainset as well, so it should be a case of fiddling with the position of the mech, the high and low adjustment screws and the cable tension.
It's exactly the same as getting a Campag mech to work and just as easy to set up. Front mechs are dumb technology like brake calipers, pull the lever and they move.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The sprocket pitch on 8sp Campagnolo and 7 sp SRAM/Shimano is identical at 5.00mm according to the CTC page about Shimergo.

I would expect that the cheapest way of getting the bike shifting properly again would be to get a 7sp shimano cassette such as this one, and a spacer for the hub. It would lose a gear but compared to hybrid cassettes to fit shimano wheels it should be a lot cheaper to get running. That derailleur should be able to manage a 28t maximum sprocket, though I doubt it would handle a 32, which is the other popular size.

For the front, IIRC those shifters use lots of little clicks rather than indexing, so should be pretty amenable to any derailleur really.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The sprocket pitch on 8sp Campagnolo and 7 sp SRAM/Shimano is identical at 5.00mm according to the CTC page about Shimergo.

I would expect that the cheapest way of getting the bike shifting properly again would be to get a 7sp shimano cassette such as this one, and a spacer for the hub. I
That's correct. My first set of brifters were Campag eight speed on a seven speed Shimano cassette. Perfect shifting.

Tim Hall

That’s very kind of you, how much do you think the postage would be, I can paypal or bank transfer it. Once I’m home I’ll measure the down tube.

I’ll read through thay, althought it’s had to completely understand with my limited knowledge.
Mike, sorry for the radio silence. The mech is marked 32mm diameter and I imagine P & P will be a fiver at most. However, I'm not sure that you need it, as pointed out elsewhere in the thread. Let me know if you do.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've got a Mirage band on front mech going spare. Sheldon Brown has a page on interloper of Shimano and Can pay.
If the OD of the OP's seat tube is 32mm then I would go for Tim's offer. That would match up the RD and ergos with a 'matching' FD. The mechanics don't matter: the left hand Ergo just shifts in clicks and will allow trim, if necessary.
It’s a 8 speed mirage shifter, with a 9 speed shimano cassette.
I would expect that the cheapest way of getting the bike shifting properly again would be to get a 7sp shimano cassette such as this one, and a spacer for the hub. It would lose a gear but compared to hybrid cassettes to fit shimano wheels it should be a lot cheaper to get running.
Another late to this party (600 audax over the weekend).
OP - you have had lots of advice (partly because your story was 'partial').
@mcshroom has offered the sensible, economic way ahead to get the gears working 'properly'. The OP's Mirage 8sp Ergos and rear derailleur (RD) shift 5.0mm each click. The (horizontal) spacing between each sprocket on a 7sp Shimano cassette which (with the recommended spacer(s) on the side nearest the spokes) will fit and be secured on your current wheel/freehub is also 5mm. I think the OP might be better with a 12t-28t cassette (this one, say) rather than the one to which @mcshroom linked. An 11t sprocket is a wasted sprocket. Beware that the Campagnolo RDs are fussier about large sprockets so the 12-32 is probably worth avoiding. The OP would be best with a 6-7-8 speed chain (ie not a 9 speed) like this KMC one.
Any other reasonable options involve changing wheels/freehub, and a (relatively) expensive Campagnolo cassette.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Firstly, I wanna say a huge thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I've not quite sorted it, but I think I'm almost there, learning and doing things I didn't think I'd be able to do in the process.

I took @mcshroom 's advice and purchased the 7 speed cassette, spacer and got a KMC Z7 chain.

After cleaning and degreasing the whole bike, I got the cassette on, fitted the chain and installed the chain yesterday (when chain breaking tool arrived). Image before the chain was broke and joined:

OSI3P7D.jpg

I woke up early this morning to see if I could get things indexed and working correctly in order to use on my commute, however I've created another issue for myself. I mistakenly thought the rear derailleur's barrel adjuster was what needed to be turned to change cable tension, however there's an adjuster that does that up the frame closer to the bars. Through trying to turn the derailleur's adjuster, as it's so old and worn, it snapped, leaving part of itself inside the thread on the derailleur. Everything still looks the same as the image above, but the barrel adjuster can now be lifted away from the derailleur.

o7FW5Aw.png

I don't know how much of an impact on shifting this will have, but it seems the adjuster near the bars is still doing it's job (changing the tension of the cable). Knowing it's broken though, it's something I'd like to attempt to fix, however I can't find that same barrel adjuster part anywhere online, does anyone know of any alternatives?

Will refitting a new barrel adjuster be a big job? I'm just wondering how I'm going to remove the cable before trying to remove the broken piece if part of the fitting is blocking the cable's path.

I'll take a closer look tonight and post in some new images.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom