9 speed cassette, 8 speed shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The Mirage RD should handle 28t no problem.
The chain should go round the large chainring and the largest sprocket, plus one link (one inch; if 'in between', go one more rather than one less).

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

The Mirage RD should handle 28t no problem.
The chain should go round the large chainring and the largest sprocket, plus one link (one inch; if 'in between', go one more rather than one less).

Do you think it would be worth buying an additional KMC missing link and fitting that to the already sized chain?

I'll record a short video tonight of the issue I'm having with the chain getting stuck on the way down from the largest cassette sprocket.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Morning all,

Managed to get a family member to give me a hand videoing the problem shift, so here's a link to a video of what happens when switching from the biggest sprockets downwards, while on the big sprocket at the front: https://imgur.com/a/e0qVe8U

And here's a longer video showing the shifts through all the gears while on the big front sprocket (with sound): https://imgur.com/a/b0wQmng

Any ideas on anything I could try to remedy this?

Thanks

Tim Hall

So is the issue when changing "up" a gear from the largest sprocket to the second largest? (The video with sound is silent, at least it is on this computer).

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

So is the issue when changing "up" a gear from the largest sprocket to the second largest? (The video with sound is silent, at least it is on this computer).

Yeah, sorry, it's when going from the largest rear sprocket, to the second largest.

On this video, if you click the sound icon in the bottom right the audio of the shifting should play: https://imgur.com/a/b0wQmng

JlB7JYa.png

Thanks

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
306181d1432458835-both-these-new-chain-length-methods-correct-chainlength2.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
I agree with @cyberknight . Surprised the chain was actually able to climb onto the largest sprocket, but then, with the chain on the largest sprocket, the return section of the chain is under so much tension (not just from the cage and RD springs) that it has trouble dropping back down. You need to add a link (one inch) to that chain. If you haven't kept the links you 'cut' off the chain when fitting it your LBS will likely have a link or two you can add. You can use another 'quick link' to join it up as adding an extra bit of chain using an existing pin is a pain/challenge.
A longer chain will resolve this (hopefully final) problem.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

I agree with @cyberknight . Surprised the chain was actually able to climb onto the largest sprocket, but then, with the chain on the largest sprocket, the return section of the chain is under so much tension (not just from the cage and RD springs) that it has trouble dropping back down. You need to add a link (one inch) to that chain. If you haven't kept the links you 'cut' off the chain when fitting it your LBS will likely have a link or two you can add. You can use another 'quick link' to join it up as adding an extra bit of chain using an existing pin is a pain/challenge.
A longer chain will resolve this (hopefully final) problem.

Slightly frustrated I cut the chain too short, but relived it can be sorted and that’ll hopefully be the bike back on the road :smile:

I have kept the links I cut off the chain, will I need those if I’m going to use a ‘quick link’? Just trying to imagine how I should break and rejoin the chain, adding in another KMC ‘quick link’.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have kept the links I cut off the chain, will I need those if I’m going to use a ‘quick link’? Just trying to imagine how I should break and rejoin the chain, adding in another KMC ‘quick link’.
Yes, you will need a short section from the length you cut off.
Remove the current quick link. Have a second quick link.
You are then going to have one long chain (which is not long enough) and one short bit. Each needs to have both ends with inner plate ends - as your current chain has. Then two quick links will join the two lengths of chain. With all due respect, this is logic, not deep cycle maintenance knowledge or rocket engineering. Do not leave it to your 'imagination'.
Just work it out so your chain is one or two inches longer than it is now and remember to take account of the fact that two quick links will provide an extra inch.
HTH

Top Bottom