9 Speed front trigger shifter on 8 speed cassette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am 99.9% sure that I will be ok, but I just wanted to check with you all.

I have a ropey front Shimano LX trigger shifter on my old Trek that I use as a commuter. It is a triple with 8 speed cassette. I need to replace the shifter and have found the following http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m530-9-speed-tripletrigger-shifter/rp-prod87287

This is described as a 9 speed front shifter. I was under the impression that there should be no difference on a front shifter between 8 and 9 speed. Am I right?

No. It won't work.

The spacing between 9 and 9-speed cassettes is different. 6/7/8 was all the same but when it got to 9 they ran out of space and squeezed the sprockets closer. Indirectly, the clicks for 8 and 9 speed shifters create less pull per click.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The spacing between 9 and 9-speed cassettes is different. 6/7/8 was all the same but when it got to 9 they ran out of space and squeezed the sprockets closer. Indirectly, the clicks for 8 and 9 speed shifters create less pull per click.

I am talking about a front shifter only.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This is confusing. I see now that you did say "front". Sorry. That shifter will work. Spacing is not the same but it will work.

OK great. I was pretty sure it would work, but was confused as to why it was called 9 speed front shifter. I thought the pull was the same on the front shifter, it was only the front derailleur that was slightly different and would likely to cause rub.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If it's a triple you may need to be a bit more precise with the cable tension to 'index' the middle cog as the cage could be a touch narrower.

Top Bottom