A 1x drive train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was thinking about a 1 x drivetrain. I figure a 7 to10 freewheel is more than enough. I will just tool around a bit I am near 70 and retired. So how easy are those 1x drivetrains? Also I was thinking a chankset of 32, 34, or 36. Low enough for some hills but high enough for a bit of flat out but not too fast speed. Any info?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
:welcome:
I've been using a 1 x drivetrain forever. 34T chainset, and 12-32 7 speed cassette.
It'll get me up pretty much anything, and I can spin it up to about 30 mph. Changing gear becomes a major policy decision. My next build will have an 11-36 9 speed cassette, but still a 34T chainset.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Craig and :welcome: to the forum.

You don’t say if you want to convert a bike or buy one with a 1x installation, but given you’re posting in the What Bike? section I assume the latter. If it’s an off the shelf model you won’t be able to choose unless you’re having it built for you. Either way you should be able to find gearing that suits. Only you know what your legs will find acceptable with the terrain you’re covering so I should look at a gearing table and work out with the help of what you are currently using what would work for you.
Here is Sheldon’s gear calculator:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
I prefer to use triple or double as I feel a 1x time will have bigger gaps in between the gears although Im sure I could get used to it. It’s only fairly recently they’ve become fashionable for whatever reason, maybe they speed up the build process for manufacturers but I can see only limited usefulness in deleting the FD.
Be aware that a wide range cassette is going to cost about £70 as opposed to less than twenty for a ‘regular’ one come replacement time.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice and well specced @dave r but none of the bikes are available with no forward date. Frame is in stock if the OP wants to build up which might be useful if he wants to select his own gear ratio but will be rather more expensive if to the same/similar spec.

Venod

Eh up
My latest mtb came with a 10 to 50 cassette and 30 chainring, I have put a 34 chainring on, I was not a fan of single rings, but the bike was a bargain buy and I am warming to the setup, 34/10 is good for a decent bit of speed and 34/50 gets you up anything.
I have opened a savings account for a cassette replacement when needed.

Not necessarily. 10 speed 11-42T cassette, £35 from Decathlon.
What are Microshift cassettes like?
Some of their other stuff has a variable reputation I think.

D

Deleted member 1258

Very nice and well specced @dave r but none of the bikes are available with no forward date. Frame is in stock if the OP wants to build up which might be useful if he wants to select his own gear ratio but will be rather more expensive if to the same/similar spec.

Its a website I'm watching, I'm waiting to see if they come back into stock.

Never used a Microshift cassette, but used plenty of other makes. There's nothing much to go wrong with a cassette...
Curious argument doc, anything can be badly designed and made and quality checked.
I stress i know nothing about microshift cassettes, pretty much always use shimano apart from srams on speed pro.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just had a wander around Hawk Cycles. Most of their hybrid bikes had single chain rings. If they weren't practical then they would have stuck with the 2 or 3 that they had a few years ago.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Curious argument doc, anything can be badly designed and made and quality checked.
I stress i know nothing about microshift cassettes, pretty much always use shimano apart from srams on speed pro.
It's not like there's much mechanically going on. If the sprockets and spacers are the right thickness it'll work. After 20--odd years I'm sure they've got a 10 speed cassette working OK.

Top Bottom