A bike with no chain but a drive belt instead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bongo Bill

I was not sure what section to put this one so my apologies if it is the wrong one!

I was passing by my local Evanscycles today and I saw an unusual bike in the window, namely a Trek District 09 model. What was unsual is that it does not have a chain but a drive belt instead. Perhaps I am behind the times but is this a first? I wonder what the benefits are? No lubrication? No rust? There is some info on it at this link:

http://trekdistrict.com/

Looks a very nice bike though!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling + recently reviewed a Trek Belt Drive here

I have 2 Stridas from about 20 years ago with single speed belt drive

strida-folding-bike1.jpg

ASC1951

Guru
Bongo Bill said:
What was unsual is that it does not have a chain but a drive belt instead. ...? I wonder what the benefits are?
Belt drive should be quieter, cleaner and fail-safe. The disadvantage - and it is a big one - is that you have to be able to split the frame, so you can only use it with a frame that has been made for it.

I was told by my LBS that they might be bringing in the belt driven bikes. I mentioned that the Birdy used to do one a while back and they weren't successful. He said they were much better nowadays owing to a different method of either manufacture or materials used.

I hate oily/messy chains!

urbanfatboy

Über Member
i have a District, they use a Gates belt. Gates manufacture timing belts for cars, where there is little tolerance for stretch and losses. I'm really enjoying the bike.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
This stuff is worth a look re the belt drives:-

http://www.ecovelo.info/2009/12/29/first-look-civia-bryant-2/

reading the comments at the bottom will also lead you to options for retrofitting. For steel frames an S&S style coupling on the drive side seat stay would seem to be an option, or you can have replacement dropouts done with a break there. The Van Nicholas Amazon Rohloff 2010 models all seem to be the split frame option for belt drives. I did ask Paul at Corridori about it but they haven't sold any yet. not sure I want to be too early an adoptor:biggrin: If the claims around reliability, durability, cleanliness, resistance to adverse weather, lack of 'chain' stretch, transmission improvements Mickle:ohmy: and weight savings are all true then this could be the future for hub gears, SS and fixed.

My daydream, titanium frame, the new lighter weight Rohloff when it comes out, some other options for Rohloff shifting, choice of Rohloff gearing ranges(bit more unladen road friendly), belt drive.....what's not to like

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
MacB said:
My daydream, titanium frame, the new lighter weight Rohloff when it comes out, some other options for Rohloff shifting, choice of Rohloff gearing ranges(bit more unladen road friendly), belt drive.....what's not to like

The price! :smile: - what would it be MacB, £3 - £4k?

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a 1951 Rudge with a complete chaincase and SA hub which avoids the problem with messy chains/derailleurs and there is an oiler to drip oil in on it. It's a great idea in theory. Unfortunately, it is a pain in the arse to fit, makes wheel removal a nightmare and makes annoying rattling noises even though the chain is tightened correctly. It is also rather heavy (not that it matters on a Roadster).

So I would be interested in giving a belt driven bike a try. I have rode a Strida and it seemed okay.

MacB

threebikesmcginty said:
The price! :smile: - what would it be MacB, £3 - £4k?

closer to the £4k I think, but the Alfine 8 belt drive models are looking at well under £1k, for a commuter bike it's tempting, they even have better shifters. Though Shimano still have the ludicrously complicated rear wheel removal, not good on a commuting bike. So shifting options of an Alfine, reliability and range of a Rohloff, ease of wheel removal of a Rohloff or SRAM, internal maintainability of a Sturmey Archer, no more than 1kg for the hub and all for under £100. At that price point, even with old fashioned chains and cogs, you'd kill off deraillers.

I suppose you should really look at full carbon not titanium for the frame, getting closer to a full plastic bike then. Nothing to corrode and sticky back plastic to handle any repairs:biggrin:

MacB

mickle said:
I can see the benefits of belt but I'm not keen on split stays, I'd rather an elevated RH chainstay.

Yeah, from trawling online I've seen about 8 different methods used to open the triangle. They seem to be going towards the join being at the dropouts now. I can see something where the stays slot into the dropout or vice versa. Then you have some sort of retaining mechanism to hold it all together. Theoretically it only needs splitting at belt changes and that could be as long as 15000 miles, though 2000 seems to be bandied about more.

I've only seen one example of an elevated stay, I think that would be a bigger commitment than some manufacturers want to make. Another suggestion was that the drivetrain is outboard entirely, not sure how that would work without increasing Q factor too much(I think that's the correct term). I'll still follow it all with interest though.

redjedi

Über Member
What would you do if the belt snapped while out on a ride?
With a chain you can throw in a spare link or just re-join the ends with a chain tool.
With a belt you would need to carry a spare belt and the tools to take apart the frame.

threebikesmcginty said:
The price! :biggrin: - what would it be MacB, £3 - £4k?

If he sells his handlebar collection he would be half way there :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom