A Bit Blowy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Nice and windy over in sunny North Wales too. Wasn't bad this morning. Did slow me down a bit, but not that much. Going home the wind had picked up a lot - to my benefit going up the hills thankfully (love it when that happens!). Unfortunately the last leg is always the worst - you ALWAYS get a headwind, I nearly got blown over.

My roof is going to take off one of these days. Handy in the mornings though - if the wind whistles round the house and the roof tiles start rattling I spend an extra 30 mins in bed and take the car to work :smile:

gavintc

Guru
I wimped out from my commute tonight. The bike was 'excitable' travelling through Glasgow, crossing intersections you would get a blast and quick jump sideways. So, I stayed on the train. I looked out of the carriage at Polmont and decided it did not look nice. Oh well, tomorrrow it must be better.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
gavintc said:
I wimped out from my commute tonight. The bike was 'excitable' travelling through Glasgow, crossing intersections you would get a blast and quick jump sideways. So, I stayed on the train. I looked out of the carriage at Polmont and decided it did not look nice. Oh well, tomorrrow it must be better.

Not looking good for tomorrow either. I'm leaving the bike at home - last week was enough to remind me of the dangers that I'd forgotten about (too many side-gusts to feel comfortable in traffic). I shall make up for it by continuing to read the fascinating "In Search Of Robert Millar" which my Dad loaned me. I'll bet he'd never have wimped out, even if there'd been a tornado licking at his heels ;)

goo_mason said:
Not looking good for tomorrow either. I'm leaving the bike at home - last week was enough to remind me of the dangers that I'd forgotten about (too many side-gusts to feel comfortable in traffic). I shall make up for it by continuing to read the fascinating "In Search Of Robert Millar" which my Dad loaned me. I'll bet he'd never have wimped out, even if there'd been a tornado licking at his heels ;)
Having checked out the forecast, I'll probably give it a miss too.

Tynan

Veteran
gatorskins?

condor recomended gator ultras for my new ride and they seem to review well, tip was to keep them bang on the recommended top pressure

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

gavintc

Guru
goo_mason said:
I usually go by Metcheck, which is looking even worse !

I have just checked Metcheck, we can expect 65mph gusts tomorrow night. I think I will leave the bike. Pity, I need the miles. I have just signed up for the 260 km Tour of Flanders on 5 Apr and need every opportunity to turn the pedals between now and then.

Tynan

Veteran
18mph tailwind which is nice

pissing it down which ain't

we'll see

Blimey that was windy! ;) 70mph gusts had been forecast here, but it didn't look to bad when I looked out so I went for it. There were a few occasions where I had to lean into the wind to stay upright! More importantly it was a headwind so I had a strenuous workout this morning.

I just hope the wind is still there on the way home.... :biggrin:

magnatom said:
Blimey that was windy! :biggrin: 70mph gusts had been forecast here, but it didn't look to bad when I looked out so I went for it. There were a few occasions where I had to lean into the wind to stay upright! More importantly it was a headwind so I had a strenuous workout this morning.

I just hope the wind is still there on the way home.... :smile:

I went for it too, what fun, a very strong tailwind along Ayr seafront ;)

Tynan

Veteran
metcheck is shoot

it wasn't a tailwind, it was a head wind

mind you it wasn't 18mph and it certainly wasn't raining

Maz

Guru
Got caught in a downpour followed by a hailstorm this a.m.
Painful on the face, but now my skin feels exfoliated, lovely and supple and 10 years younger.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ah today was fun, couldn't keep a strait line though. Got a wee bit of a tail wind coming up some of the hill, but most of the time the wind was swirling about all over the place. The wind was only about 30mph gusting to 50mph not so bad really, back in January it was gusting over 60mph, now that was hard work... The rain this morning took me by surprise, mainly because the sun was shining and it was coming out of a clear blue sky!

Top Bottom