A Bit Blowy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
never seen wind I couldn't get through, straining to maintain speed going downhill is memorable

London though so I'll refrain from calling you Northern types lightweights

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Yeah, I'm really starting to get tired of winter, too. Rode to work with an inch of ice on the ground, today. Drove, yesterday, while the ice was coming down, though. While scraping the windscreen after work, yesterday, I had to wonder just WHY driving is better than a bike. On that ice, the studded tyres on the bike do better than a car. I must admit, though, that the car wins in the deep snow.

Joe

Keith Oates

Janner
I did a longish ride today with a lot of it into a strong wind which forced me to drop down a couple of cogs even on the flat. The bits where the wind was behind on the return leg were really good though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Kirst said:
I'd gone about a quarter of a mile this morning when the headwind got so strong the bike wasn't actually moving, and then the wind swung suddenly and me and the bike blew right over. I just couldn't stay upright against it. I took the bike back home and got the bus in.

Nasty. I took the bus yesterday because I was having to pick up the wee one from after-school club on the way home (the ex isn't well so extra nights with me as a result). Glad I did though - after Thursday the thought of another severely windy day was too much. Just before home on Thursday I was pulling to stop at the junction onto the Shore, and as my foot was going down a massive side-gust hit me and I did a bit of comedy one-footed ballet trying to keep from falling over into the armco. Thankfully I managed to steady myself before pulling off out into the traffic.

The rest of the journey home from Edinburgh Park had been OK, as the wind was mostly behind me - but there were frequent side-winds that were quite frightening.

Glad you were OK after your tumble.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tynan said:
never seen wind I couldn't get through, straining to maintain speed going downhill is memorable

London though so I'll refrain from calling you Northern types lightweights

You call a light breeze windy?? Just look at the fuss they made in 1987, that is just a normal winter up here...

Tynan

Veteran
anything that uproots trees that have survived a 100 years of weather seems strong to me

mind you, it's explains why Scotland is so barren and beaten flat I suppose

you enjoy

cannondale boy

Über Member
Going to work this morning was a joy, no wind no rain. Coming back though, a gale of a headwind, rain just pelting down. Worse was to come when half way home i get a punct***!!

I have gatorskins which are a pain in the a*** i have had so many punct***s with them i feel like chucking them. My last tyres (hutchisons) never gave me that much bother. So i spent a good 15mins in the wind and rain while drivers were looking on gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr. Anyway i hope the rest of the week won't be like what i experienced this afternoon.

Very blowy tonight in Glasgow. Heading north out of the hospital I had a big grin on my face. That was one of the best tailwinds I've had :smile:

wafflycat

Even down here in Norfolk it was surprisingly blowy today. You know a headwind is 'bracing' when on a downhill you have to keep pedalling to make progress... as happened today when I was out on my lunchtime pootle.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tynan said:
anything that uproots trees that have survived a 100 years of weather seems strong to me

mind you, it's explains why Scotland is so barren and beaten flat I suppose

you enjoy

There you go, even the trees are harder up here;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
Very blowy tonight in Glasgow. Heading north out of the hospital I had a big grin on my face. That was one of the best tailwinds I've had :smile:

Aye it is great until a light turns red in front of you and you can't stop even with both feet on the ground. I had that whilst going up hill one time:ohmy:

Top Bottom