a bit of a rant....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanddancer

Ps
I would gladly pay the op £10 to show me how to set the brakes properly never mind a recon bike.
Always been a bug bear of mine :biggrin:

stephec

Legendary Member
That way could easily go wrong unfortunately, although it does sound nice.
An itemised bill from her phone company could see that it does go wrong.

screenman

Legendary Member
An itemised bill from her phone company could see that it does go wrong.

The friend that dropped her off to pick up the bike, and a few more.

I feel she will go away on her own, she may be able to prove she fell off the bike, proving what caused it may be beyond her.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You sold somebody a badly set up bike which caused them to fall off. If that was my wife, or mother, or sister, I'd be furious. No matter that she was happy with it, you are the one doing the bikes up so it would be fair of her to imagine that you have some expertise in the matter. What are your qualifications? What checks did you perform to ensure that the bike was safe to ride?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is no proof he sold the bike with the wheel loose, she should do a basic check each time she rides the bike to see that it hasn't been tampered with or fallen and damaged. We don't even know if she undid the wheel to put it in a car for example.

I'd let her rant ... And ignore her.

andyfraser

Über Member
Having read this thread I think I'll direct any one with a bike they want to give away to the Salvation Army's Recycle place unless I want the bike for myself (I'm always suing myself so one more lawsuit won't hurt).

TVC

Anyone who threatens to call in their solicitor is just fishing to see if you will bite. Call her bluff, there is no solicitor that would be interested in following through with a claim like that, it's just one persons word against another.

subaqua

What’s the point
Is winjim spinners other alter ego?

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

At no point have I said I`m a charity, I just do something good with my spare time. I tried to work with one of the local bike charity's but just couldn't get on with a lot of the snobby people already there so I left on good terms with them. I've worked in two bike shops, I left those because I wasn't happy doing it for a living. I've no qualifications but I've been fixing bikes since I could hold a spanner. The only time I charge people is when there has been a expense in the repair/refurbishment of the bike, sometimes ill even forget about the cost of the part if it means it will help somebody out.

I don't charge anybody anything for labour, I`m just there to help. I could rebuild a bike blindfolded. Not once have I ever let anybody ride a bike I haven't ridden a few times myself and I certainly don't let anybody ride a bike I've worked on until I`m happy with it. I had test ridden the bike myself three times on three different routes, I do this with all of the bikes I do up.

The bike was given to me after the previous owner purchased a bike from the LBS, she wanted it to be refurbished and put to good use by somebody who needed it.

I wont bother changing my number etc etc, I`m calling her bluff, until I get contacted by a solicitor. The thing that has annoyed me is she has took the absolute mick. I honestly don't care if people don't like what im doing etc etc, The fact is that I`m at least trying to help people out, trying to make a difference in my community, its not much but its something. BTW one of the bikes I gave away helped the new owner gain full time permanent employment because he now has his own form of transport.

Im just going to put this down as a bad experience and carry on.

winjim

Smash the cistern
subaqua said:
Is winjim spinners other alter ego?

I'm just trying to look at things from the other person's point of view really. There is at least the possibility that they were sold a badly set up bike, which caused them to fall off. Somebody selling a bike should, imo, do everything they can to minimise that possibility.

FWIW I don't agree with suing people left right and centre, and would have hoped that the situation could have been resolved amicably on the return visit, when the wheel was replaced.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hedder I think you are trying to do a good thing, unfortunately there are people that want to take advantage of nice people.

If you want to carry on just protect yourself with some insurance.

classic33

Leg End Member
It depends I guess if she classes it as a Consumer sale.

If you were a trader what would you have done differently? Not a lot, took something in as a part ex and then sold it on after making it of merchantable qualiy. Are your actions those of a trader?

Devils advocate. She will struggle to get a lawyer but not sure what would happen if she went to trading standards?

Shaun
Trading Standards would advise seek legal advice.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm just trying to look at things from the other person's point of view really. There is at least the possibility that they were sold a badly set up bike, which caused them to fall off. Somebody selling a bike should, imo, do everything they can to minimise that possibility.

FWIW I don't agree with suing people left right and centre, and would have hoped that the situation could have been resolved amicably on the return visit, when the wheel was replaced.

Caveat emptor. Looks like private sale rather than a business.
It is also a riders responsibility to do a basic visual ( the M check) before riding. It picks up " pranks" like the twats in work who thought it would be great to loosen the quick release skewers. They didn't realise I check that every ride since I didn't tighten one up properly myself and had an off.

The problem with the world today is that everybody thinks it's always somebody else's fault rather than taking responsibility for their own failings.

Top Bottom