a bit of a rant....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
The problem with the world today is that everybody thinks it's always somebody else's fault rather than taking responsibility for their own failings.
Agreed. It seems to have made things very hard for people trying to do a good deed. They either get sued or fall fowl of the law. The law seems to be getting more bureaucratic and adding it's own complications.

stephec

Legendary Member
Caveat emptor. Looks like private sale rather than a business.
It is also a riders responsibility to do a basic visual ( the M check) before riding. It picks up " pranks" like the twats in work who thought it would be great to loosen the quick release skewers. They didn't realise I check that every ride since I didn't tighten one up properly myself and had an off.

The problem with the world today is that everybody thinks it's always somebody else's fault rather than taking responsibility for their own failings.

Spot on.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Never help people for money, do it for free or don't do it at all.

As soon as money changes hands people get like that.

If you must continue, have a check list of your safety checks, make sure it's appropriate to commercial standards. Sign it and date it for every bike, take photo evidence of construction and repairs, etc.

In other words, turn it into a job that makes you miserable and poor and you'll have no legal worries...

I agree with that. I do it like you say..... zero charge.

Most of the time you get the reward you look for when helping people out for nothing, many times you get to know and sometimes meet very interesting people, on the other hand, you will come across people that you wished you never helped in the first place. I have learnt to spot them better I think ;)

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
If someone is going to get a solicitor involved - then they do that, without warning you first. Since she sent you a text claiming she would be getting "lawyered-up" {to use a phrase I once heard on TV :smile: } I very, very much doubt anything is going to happen. My guess is she fell off, got back on sheepishly, told someone about it, and they are now egging her on to try and get some compensation ...

Just an opinion of course...

cd365

Guru
I would ignore her, tell her when she left the bike was fine, you had test ridden it and so had she. There is no proof she didn't do anything whilst the bike was in her possession. It was sold as seen, I can't see her having any comeback, she is just trying it on.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Did she go to A&E ?
DId she need an ambulance ?
Has she seen a doctor with her injuries ?
Any witnesses ?

If the answers to all of the above are no, take her to court for Stress and Attempted Blackmail.

Had she been drinking ?
Where was she cycling exactly (was the surface good) ?

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
@hedder2212 out of interest, and I know you've mentioned the wheel wasn't able to fall out, why do you think the front axle was loose?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Caveat emptor. Looks like private sale rather than a business.
It is also a riders responsibility to do a basic visual ( the M check) before riding. It picks up " pranks" like the twats in work who thought it would be great to loosen the quick release skewers. They didn't realise I check that every ride since I didn't tighten one up properly myself and had an off.

reminds me of my favourite quote
"Everyone wants right s but no one wants responsibilities "

screenman

Legendary Member
I think you are only a trader if you buy something with the intention of selling it on later. You can sell your private possessions for a profit any time you like. As the OP was given the bikes, and has been covering (or not) his expenses, he isn't a trader or a business.

I think you may find that trading standards may have a slightly less simplistic view, unfortunately.

Top Bottom