a bit of a rant....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
When I felt the need to fix up bikes for others, I went to a local organization that went into that line as a part of a social program, and worked on bikes for them. It's a nice thing, especially since the bus company no longer stops on demand, just at stops. This gives disadvantaged persons a means of transport to the bus stop, it gives the social programs another outlet for helping people, and it lets me work on many bicycles without worrying about liability. I also always have somebody do a test ride or two before the bike is given away. That seems the best way to do this anymore. I quit fixing and flipping bikes some years ago because of an increasingly litigious society, and the crap bikes the grocery stores and other outlets sell. Between the two, the game simply was not worth the candle anymore.

A few years ago, I was cycling along and came across a couple of lads having problems with one of the bikes.

Classic rear dérailleur in the spokes and mangled dérailleur

They had about 5 miles to go and there was no answer from the phone when We tried to phone his parents

So I did a fix by shortening the chain to a fixed gear and zip tied the dérailleur safely to the chain stay.

Gave them the removed links, advised them that they would need a new dérailleur and and they happily went on their way

Later that night I had an irate parent on the phone about how I had vandalised his son's bike and they were demanding the cost of the new dérailleur, chain and cost of fitting!

Nipped into the local bike shop and explained the situation, they had seen the bike, replaced the dérailleur with a second hand one, added a link to the old chain and replaced it.

When the guy then rang back demanding £100 for the bill and he was going to the small claims court.

I advised him that I had no problem with that as I had an expert witness that the bike was poorly maintained, and that he dérailleur damage was due to this poor maintenance. That I knew about all the work that had been done the cost including fitting and service of the brakes (they were unsafe) had been less than £20.... details I would gladly provide in court.

Stated that I had also recorded the call this would also add to the proof that he was pulling a scam

Never heard from them again

screenman

Legendary Member
If he's only (or sometimes not even) covering his expenses, he's hardly a trader.

Even a business making huge losses has responsibility.

The world is not only full of nice people, she will likely have somebody egging her on.

I would just wait and see.

Tin Pot

Guru
I like the pretend-you've-never-met-her ruse.

I would do that just for the hilarity of it. Put a bit of a Jack Dee sneer with it and it's a story for the ages. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I like the pretend-you've-never-met-her ruse.

I would do that just for the hilarity of it. Put a bit of a Jack Dee sneer with it and it's a story for the ages. :smile:

That way could easily go wrong unfortunately, although it does sound nice.

Drago

Legendary Member
Can't see how not would go wrong. It's all down to what can be proven, not what is known. Deprive any investigation of evidence and it fails.

The evidence supporting the woman's claim is so thin it can be seen through, and can be made to go away very easily. I think she's full of bull, but pull up the drawbridge now and she's stuck. What's she gonna do - sue him...?

sidevalve

Über Member
I can only supply two examples here
1 - a friend sold a m/cycle to a guy who rode it a few times with no problems then put it away in a garage for well over twelve months - when it didn't start he wanted his money back.
2 - my old dad used to repair clocks and watches for folk for a few bob or the price of a packet of ciggies [this was a good few years ago] and the number of people that came came back whining that 'this watch/clock doesn't keep 100% accurate time [again we are talking old clockwork here] was unbelievable.
No win no fee lawyers can drum up a claim to well over a grand if they want with no problems at all. I'm afraid 'caveat emptor' applies to private sales only and you seem to be acting as a dealer [that will be the argument used against you] - you are not a charity, you have not owned the bikes [privately as transport] and you have accepted money.
I'm afraid the compensation culture is a career choice for too many people today and no the actual injuries don't need to be substantial. I have a horrible feeling you may be the usual good egg whose fallen foul of the money grubbing sh----heads of this world. See what happens but be ready to get legal advice - good luck

screenman

Legendary Member
In the first post it says he took the bike in against a new one he sold, even from here that looks a little business like.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
In the first post it says he took the bike in against a new one he sold, even from here that looks a little business like.
Nope he did not say he sold the new one, he said she gave him her old one after she bought a new one... I read it as she bought the new one elsewhere

screenman

Legendary Member
Nope he did not say he sold the new one, he said she gave him her old one after she bought a new one... I read it as she bought the new one elsewhere

Good point, interesting to see how the same words can mean different thing's.

sanddancer

I read on another cycle forum or it could have been this one.
where a cyclist rode up from behind some rotund mother and child and the childs bikes set up was terrible.
He pointed out that the child was struggling to pedal and offered to adjust the seat etc to suit.
he was met with a barrage of eff off and mind your own business etc

The mind boggles with some people :sad:

Top Bottom