a bit of a rant....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedder2212

I did do a search for a rant thread but couldn't find one so heres my rant -

For the past two or three months I've been taking in any bikes that people don't want, they've been donated to me and I've been fixing them up and giving them away or selling them for whatever they've cost me to get into a safe and rideable state. I`ve also been helping people out by doing repairs for free, using parts I've taken off the bikes I couldn't repair or weren't worth fixing up or just charging whatever the part costs me from the shop, I`ve even been showing people how to service their own bike just to help people out.

Now I've only been doing this for people who would of genuinely benefited from a bike but couldn't afford to buy one or couldn't afford to have the one they already had fixed up, its not just a hobby but I was doing it to help people out.

Last Sunday I sold a woman a very nice and tidy reebok ladies bike that had come into me after the previous owner purchased a new bike and wanted her old one to be put to good use. I stripped the bike to its frame, gave it a good jet wash and a quick polish, just as I have with almost every other bike. I soaked the cables and the chain in GT85, cleaned and re greased all the bearings + bolt threads and put it back together. She came and viewed it and we went for a quick test ride around a local park. I adjusted the saddle and the stem etc to her, just like I do with everyone who has a bike from me. she was very happy with the bike, handed over the huge sum of £10 and off she went with her nice shiny bike.

Now considering she knows what I do and why I do it I was very surprised when this morning she text me this - "I`m absolutely fuming, you have sold me a dodgy bike, The front wheel came loose and I fell off, if this isn't resolved today you will be hearing from my solicitor". so I gave her a quick call and explained that things do happen and I did everything I could to make sure that bike was safe to ride, I said to her, bring the bike over, well put it in the repair stand and well see what I can do for you.

She brings the bike over and I put it in the stand, Yep wheel nut on the right hand side was loose but the lock washer was still on and theres no way it could of caused her to fall off BUT I swapped in a different front wheel anyway and tightened the wheel nuts up. We go for another test ride and yep shes happy. Off she pops all smiling.

an hour later, she texts me saying "my solicitor will be in touch on Tuesday to start proceedings to get the compensation I deserve for my injuries"

so now im angrier than the hulk.

IM JUST THE NICE GUY TRYING TO HELP OTHERS OUT, DOING SOMETHING I LOVE TO DO AND NOT EARNING A PENNY FROM IT, JUST DOING IT FOR THE LOVE OF IT AND TO HELP ANYONE OUT BUT THEN THERES ALWAYS THAT ONE PERSON WHO HAS TO TRY AND RUIN IT! NOTHING I DID WOULD OF CAUSED A ACCIDENT YET THE "LADY" IF YOU CAN EVEN CALL IT THAT THINKS SHE DESERVES COMPENSATION?!? WHY THE HELL DO I BOTHER HELPING PEOPLE?!?

needless to say she's getting absolutely naff all from me. Rant over.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I am not a solicitor nor anything like that but common sense says to me that it is "buyer beware" she saw it tested it and cycled it away so how is it your fault she fell off? Is it not down to you to check your bike before you set off on it?

I suspect again just common sense... if she had employed your services and paid you for the service of putting a front wheel on and then rode away and fell off cos the wheel fell off that would be a different matter as you would not have performed the service she paid you to do.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Also if you do this for people that cannot afford such things then does she have the pennies to go to a solicitor or will it be an ambulance chasing no win no fee jobby

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

Unfortunately it seems common sense isn't used much by people these days. its all about money, money, money.
Shell be told to take a hike. Shes not getting a penny. Ill offer a refund on the bike but that's as far as its going.
No insurance policies to be checking, Ive been doing it as a at home hobby in my spare time. Its just peed me off that somebody could even be like that.

Probably a no win no fee job. Good job because she wouldn't win.

midlife

Guru
For a private sale the Caveat Emptor situation applies, the slight problem is where a hobby merges into trading. I'm not sure where you sit regarding that as you are buying and selling and as such there could be a duty of care.

What injuries did she suffer?

Shaun

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Probably a no win no fee job. Good job because she wouldn't win.

But if she is pursuing a compensation claim via a no win no fee solicitor, do you have funds for your 'I win you lose' defence?

vickster

Legendary Member
She probably is trying it on, I can't see a solicitor taking on the case as you aren't a registered business but you might be advised to seek advice from the CAB. Perhaps you should have some sort of insurance however. Do your clients sign something to say they have checked the bike and are happy etc?

jnrmczip

Only injury she has is clearly being mental she bought a bike for £10 from someone doing a good deed it's not your problem she is a twat.

Maybe she should use her time more wisely and learn how to ride a bike.

I fell off my bike due to clipless peddles now I'm no rocket scientist but I'm sure that's my fault and not shimano.

Some people should definitely have been swallowed

Tin Pot

Guru
Never help people for money, do it for free or don't do it at all.

As soon as money changes hands people get like that.

If you must continue, have a check list of your safety checks, make sure it's appropriate to commercial standards. Sign it and date it for every bike, take photo evidence of construction and repairs, etc.

In other words, turn it into a job that makes you miserable and poor and you'll have no legal worries...

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

Cuts and bruises from what I know. She was saying she had broke a finger but its laughable.
She had no problem walking, no problem going for a nice ride around the park on the test ride after I replaced the wheel. No problem texting on her phone either.
The only paperwork that is handed over is the receipts I provide for the parts I purchased, in this case a set of grips.
Ill be doing the whole checklist thing etc from now on and providing a receipt that will clearly state sold as seen no warranty given or implied etc.
Wouldn't want to turn this into a job. I already turned one passion I had into a job that has made me miserable and poor. Not doing it with this one. I don't make a single penny profit from doing any of this.

Top Bottom